Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fax Over Broad Band?

• Please log in to reply

mrsleep

mrsleep

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Here's my dilemna: I no longer need my VOIP phone since everyone in the house has cell phones now, but we need a land line (or alternative) to make very very infrequent faxes. The digital phone costs us $40 a month and is unlimited minutes long distance/local, yada yada yada all that crap. I'd hate to switch to another VOIP service, like Vonage, and get a cheaper plan, because that still seems like over kill. I was wondering if there's anyway to hook up the fax machine to a computer, via USB (the fax machine we have is a 3-in-1 type deal, printer, scanner, fax) and fax the documents over the internet to another fax machine that's on a land line. Anyone have any experience in anything like this? Thanks a lot any help is greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
fax machine requires a method of connecting over a phone line. with the digital voip service you have the ability. If you do away with it then you will have to get a land line. this means more expense. If you switch to vonage then you have to purchase the equipment for the service.

mrsleep

mrsleep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I'm not really asking that. I know that already. There's tons of online broad band fax services that require NO phone line, I'm inquiring into whether or not anyone has any experience with those types of services basically.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

I was wondering if there's anyway to hook up the fax machine to a computer, via USB (the fax machine we have is a 3-in-1 type deal, printer, scanner, fax) and fax the documents over the internet to another fax machine that's on a land line.

Sounds like a great idea, however I don't know of anyone offering it.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i have a couple of suppliers that use something called faxtopc or faxtomypc or something like that....i've seen a few companies online that do the same thing...basically they give you a phone number ( i saw one after searching internet faxing or something like that that gave you an 800 number so that the faxes came free for the faxer) to which people fax...then they convert the fax and send it to your email...the companies tha ti saw in my searches had pretty good pricing

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.savetz.com/fax/ check that list out...there's a few companies listed for free service if all you want is to recieve faxes (one of which is efax...which i've actually used before)

mrsleep

mrsleep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Okay great thanks a lot for the advice! I'm going to look more into one of the many email-broadband fax services since I don't think I'll get so lucky as to find the exact thing I'm looking for. But thanks so much for the advice!