Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with choosing an LCD monitor...

• Please log in to reply

loui1410

loui1410

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hello,

This is my first time buying an LCD monitor. I need help with choosing what's the best for me.
I'm looking for a 17" monitor, with 4ms - 8ms response time, and I need it for games, movies, and also to be comfortable in reading texts. (I know it's not about the repsonse time only, but I mean that I need one these two ranges only)

I found two 17" LCD Samsung monitors, one with 4ms response time and the other 8ms, of course with other good specifications exchange for a fair price:
The 730BF and 730B.
And there's also the L1732TQ by LG.

The questions is: is there any difference between 4ms and 8ms? 2nd, what is the recommended constract ratio for me? The difference between the LG and Samsung is that the LG has 1400:1 constract ratio, though the Samsung has 700/600:1.

What are the specifications that I need to consider before buying an LCD and how much do they need to be? Are those good monitors for me? If yes, which is the best? If not, please gimme some more offers.

Those monitors' prices are about 335-380 USD (in my country), so this is my budget.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by loui1410, 01 May 2006 - 02:54 AM.

Advertisements

loui1410

loui1410

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
And yeah another thing; why are there monitors from LG with less good specifications but are higher priced? I still don't get it!

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Heres a article on responce times that can be somewhat confusing.

http://www.pcworld.c...d,121906,00.asp

Then these this on contrast ratios.

http://www.pcworld.c...d,110483,00.asp

You might read this anandtech review of LCD monitors.

http://www.anandtech...doc.aspx?i=2289

By the way, LG is a sub company of the Phillips TV/DVD/Stereo manufacturer.

SRX660

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
I bought this monitor for a client and liked it so much that I bought one for myself.

Samsung SyncMaster 740N

Its a great monitor and watching DVDs on it is awesome. Read the reviews to see what I mean. You will find the price very hard to beat, too.

Edited by WinCrazy, 01 May 2006 - 09:31 AM.

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
i own the samsung syncmaster 740b, its very nice. and it has dvi input which the i think 740n does not, thats the only difference, i was looking at the 730b when i bought this, but reviews helped me choose the more expensive 740b instead. i'm very happy i did so. it has very high contrast/brightness, i have mine set at 75% contrast, and 50% brightness and its still very bright, clear and rich colored.

btw. i paid about $240 USD for mine, a pretty good price, its worth a few dozen more for a monitor i thought, after all the time you spend staring at it, you might as well get something nice.

Edited by Thebinaryman, 02 May 2006 - 10:57 AM.