Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

building PC

• Please log in to reply

tomcat-racing.net

tomcat-racing.net

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i building a pc i dont know what to get heres what i have

i have:
http://www.geeks.com...CP803-2&cat=CAS

I i dont do alot of gameing maby micorsoft flight sim an a VRC game

i need to know:
vedio card?
hard drive?
mother bord something with a prosor built in(dont know how to put one in?)?
cd/dvd/RW?
sound card?
iam i mising any thing?if so what?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Starting from scratch, EH! Heres my suggestions.

motherboard: any real good one will do. This depends on what you like. Theres really not much difference to me to using AMD or Intel processors. AMD's run slightly hotter to me so i usually buy a good heatsink/fan combo for them. I would go to newegg and start looking at the Intel, Gigabyte, DFI, Biostar and maybe the Abit motherboards. Get the latest and greatest you can afford. Nforce 4 or Intel 975 depending on the processor. There are no built in processors except the low powered VIA motherboards. Do not even bother with them. Installing a processor in a MB is very simle and not hard at all to do. You just have to take care when doing it. I don't really like the ASUS Mb's as i've had to return too many to suit me.

Video cards: Some like the ATI. I like the Nvidia's. I would look into a 6800GT or 7800GT card with 256 or 512 memory.

Sound card: no other choice here but the Audigy. Take your pick of what model suits you.

HD's: most of the new MB's will have SATA connectors so a good seagate or WD sata drive around 250-300 gigs would be fine. look for the sata2 spec drives(300 mb/s) if your really into speed.

DVD: I put a NEC 3550a dvd-rw in every new computer i build right now. If people want a second cdrom type drive i put in a lite-on cd-rw/dvd combo drive in.

Forgotten things

Memory: depending on what the motherboard can handle buy at least a GIG of good memory. Lately i'm buying OCZ memory because its only a few dollars more than the samsung-crucial-kingston memorys.

Fans: i like the vantec Stealth fans because they are somewhat quieter than the cheap models.

Power Supply: I have been using thermotake PS's but now have took a liking to the enermax. I also am thinking i would like checking out the seasonic PS's.

I'm sure there will be others that might disagree with my choices and that's good. I just know what i have had good luck with and idon't need to experment much with to get working.

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 01 May 2006 - 05:16 AM.