Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Patience or Instant Payoff?

• Please log in to reply

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
'Ello all geeks (especially Warrior whom I've discussed this with a lot),

After prom ($200+) and buying a new skimboard ($250+) I am considering upgrading something in my computer, which will probably be my video card because everything else is up to speed.

Right now, the top contendor is (http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814102698) the Radeon X1800XT due to it's higher capabilities and it's $279 price tag.

With DX10 right around the corner (I peed myself after watching the tech videos), will there be any new DX10 cards affordable to us who make $7.50 for about 20- hours a week, or will they all be upper tier of $400-$600?

Thanks a lot!
}BP{

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

'Ello all geeks (especially Warrior whom I've discussed this with a lot),

After prom ($200+) and buying a new skimboard ($250+) I am considering upgrading something in my computer, which will probably be my video card because everything else is up to speed.

Right now, the top contendor is (http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814102698) the Radeon X1800XT due to it's higher capabilities and it's $279 price tag.

With DX10 right around the corner (I peed myself after watching the tech videos), will there be any new DX10 cards affordable to us who make $7.50 for about 20- hours a week, or will they all be upper tier of $400-$600?

Thanks a lot!
}BP{

I would wait man, the new cards are coming out soon and newer technology as well. Its not a good idea to buy or build a new pc right now if you are a HARDCORE Gamer.. If you only want to surf the net, its fine to buy a pc right now. Even if you want a media-center pc it would still be OKAY to buy a pc right now but for the gamers you need to wait out or you are screwing yourself... I had 3 friends wanting to buy new pc's or wanted to upgrade,I told them to hold off another couple or few months because they are gamers that like to play the latest and greatest games..

You need to wait, Ill say it again its not the time to build or get a video card for the gamer in mind... The prices on all current video cards will even drop more when the newer cards are released also.. :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah waiting is the safest thing to do, there should be cheaper dx10 cards they rarely release just one card on release its usually a full range over a week or two is released so they wil have low end mid end and high end cards.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah waiting is the safest thing to do, there should be cheaper dx10 cards they rarely release just one card on release its usually a full range over a week or two is released so they wil have low end mid end and high end cards.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Have any companies released like price ranges? I'm willing to spend up to like $300 (a little less) but nothing too much. Will that get me a decent high end? Or will it be like my X800GTO, being the second worse X800 card?

Also, will the X1800XT be able to run DX10 or just DX9 at the most? If I'm thinking correctly, the card can only run UP to DX9 correct? I'm just double checking.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Due to architecture changes dx9 cards will be unable to use dx10, given that they havent released even core names i dont think there are price ranges however they wont be any different from a normal release they will use the same price ranges they have for every previous release.