Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reformat?

• Please log in to reply

Project X

Project X

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
gateway with windows xp home
bought windows pro and want to install

when I try and delete partition to recreate it tells me i cant delete that partition. It says it needs some of the set up files on it.

I know what my problem is and I know how to fix it. I need to know how to manellly F disc. Command prompt or what ever. I simply want to know how to F disc the entire hard drive

tap f8-f10-f12 still cant find it.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Project X...

fdisk is a MS DOS function found on older Windows startup disks. If you have a floppy drive, you can download as Windows 98SE Startup Disk from bootdisk.com and use that to wipe the drive.

However, you can partition and format the drive using the XP Pro cd by starting the machine with the disk in the drive and pressing a key when prompted to boot from cd. There is a good guide available HERE.

wannabe1

Project X

Project X

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
That solves my problem, tyvm :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts