Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Floppy Drive Not Recognized... Sort of

• Please log in to reply

erndawg101

erndawg101

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hey all. Looking for some quick help here. I just bought an OEM Floppy Drive to add onto my new PC. I've installed it, but when starting the PC windows asks for a driver to install the new hardware, which i do not have. Normally windows would recognize the device anyways, so it's not a major problem, but in this case XP marks the new hardware as an "Unknown" device. So my question is does it sound like all I need is a driver? If so, could it be on the windows XP disc? If not, can someone point me in the direction of where I may find the driver on the web? I've tried the sony website, but can't find it. The floppy drive is a Sony, model MPF920-1. I can supply full system specs if needed. Thanks in advance for your help.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Go to start, my computer right click properties, hardware, device manager. Right click on the floppy (which probably has a yellow ! next to it) and select either update driver or properties. Then let windows go out to the internet and find the driver it needs.

erndawg101

erndawg101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
there is no floppy drive listed in my device manager

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Windows should be able to find the driver. It would be on the install cd. You can also find one at www.driverguide.com. You need to join but it is free.