Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Software to create mp3 CD?

• Please log in to reply

Dan R.

Dan R.

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Anyone aware of anything like this that is freeware? I have all my MP3s (about 7000) sorted into many different folders, and then organized into playlists in Winamp.

Does anyone know of a program that will copy all the files in a playlist to a given folder? Now that I think of it, a pls file is just a text file with all the file names in it, maybe even a batch file that would read through it and copy each file?

I am wanting to create CDs full of MP3s for road trips etc. when I don't have my laptop handy, any ideas?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Winamp does that.

Dan R.

Dan R.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Winamp does that.

Really? How? All I have been able to get it to do is to burn an Audio CD. I want a CD full of MP3 files, so I can fit 10x as much music. I have found a shareware plugin that says it will let you do this, but I want freeware.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you just go to send to CD, however do you have a special mp3 CD player to play the disks on, you cant play mp3s on normal CD players like you find in most cars, but you can just burn the files straight to CD using windows explorer or any other burning software of which there are a few on the list at the top of the forum.

But again normal CD players cant play mp3s unless you have a player that specifically says it can play mp3 files.

Dan R.

Dan R.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Yes, I know, and I have a CD player that can play MP3 files - listening to one compilation right now. I also know how to burn files onto a CD.

However, I have playlists that have songs that are stored in many different folders. What I want to do is instead of manually dragging the songs from all the different folders, if I can just somehow automatically export/move all the mp3s in a playlist to a single folder, so I can burn them from there, or alternatively, simply automatically burn all the songs in a playlist on to a data CD as mp3 files.

eg. I have a list of about 120 dance songs that I would like to burn to a compilation disc that I can just pop into my stereo system or portable CD/MP3 player. The songs are as I said kept in many different folders.

One idea I have is that, with some simple search/replace operations, I could use a .pls file (which is really a text file) to make a .bat file that would copy all the songs to one folder. I just want something a little more automatic.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Nero is what i always use but it isnt free. Im sure winamp does it at least it always used to ive done it a couple of times, usually i go the other way or use nero.

Right found the option, go to preferences output nullsoft disk writer and then you can change the output format to mpeg 3 from PCM. Although i think it will just burn on mp3s by default, what to do is try it on an RW and if it doesnt work you just select the convert to option and set it to mp3 and try it again that should get it to work. I hope it does i think its the plugin to do it, if not there might be another plugin.

It is just essentially a data file all you do to burn manually is make a folder that has all the tracks in it making sure it is less than 650mb or 700mb if its a 700 disk, then just take the playlist file from winamp and copy it into that folder. It doesnt take that long to do manually either.

Edited by warriorscot, 01 May 2006 - 01:40 PM.

Dan R.

Dan R.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I'm a little fuzzy - does Nero burn MP3 compilations based on a playlist? Also, if you burn the playlist file, you'll just have a CD containing the playlist file - a 12kb ascii file, and not 700 MB of MP3s, which is what I want. I tried dragging and dropping the whole playlist from Winamp to Explorer, and that did not work - or what are you suggesting? The whole issue is that I want to burn 150+ MP3s that are scattered in 100 different folders, and it WOULD take a long time to drag them all manually.

Now, the Disk writer actually works for what I want except: it has to re-encode all the tracks, and to a max sound quality of 56kbps. I guess that's fine, since it will allow me to fit more tracks on one disc, but it is also slower than it needs to be - there should be a way to just copy all those files to a folder. For 150 tracks, that is slow and consumes my entire CPU, I'd have to let it run overnight when it could be a simple copy operation.

Maybe I'll make a php script that translates a pls file into a batch file that copies all the songs to one folder - unless anyone else knows of a program/plugin that does this.

Edited by Dan R., 01 May 2006 - 08:48 PM.

Dan R.

Dan R.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Okay, the disk writer plugin did NOT work - it created resampled mp3 files and put them all in one folder, but it was like playing a 45rpm record at 33rpm, and one song had a high pitched squeal added to it.