Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound problems

• Please log in to reply

shouranpotter

shouranpotter

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I'm not really good at computers and I don't know what's hapening with my PC.
First, whenever I play flash movies on Internet Explorer and Firefox, there's no sound. (I've already checked the volume etc. and there are sounds in Winamp and Windows media player etc.)
Second, after I reboot my PC (hoping there would be sounds after rebooting), I can't control the volume from my keyboard and the volume icon is gone as well. I also checked the controls at the control panel and it's alright.

I think that these two problems are connected to each other. I often use my PC for media purposes so it's really hard for me to lose sounds on flash and sound controls.
I really need help with this.
Thanks in advance.
:whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
On a web page, click tools, internet options, advanced, look at multimedia to check it is set to play sounds, click apply and close the browser if you change anything

shouranpotter

shouranpotter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thanks for the reply.
But nope, it still didn't work.
I also noticed that even if the volume is on, there's no sound when I click something (which usually, there sould be) and the pop up blocker also don't make any sounds when it blcoks something (I already checked the configuration and the sound is on). Also, even if the volume is on maximum, there's no sound when I turn my PC on or off.

I think all of these are connected to each other.
Is there a volume control (other than the control panel) that controls these volumes?

Please help me.
Pretty please with a cheery on top.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, control panel, sounds, speech and audio, change the sound scheme

Look through the list, left click one, click the black arrow to play it, what do you get?

[attachment=8235:attachment]

shouranpotter

shouranpotter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thanks again for the reply. :blink:

But I can't click it. It's unlickable no matter which one I choose.
When I choose something, the play button changes black, then changes back to grey in a split second.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items underlined in blue are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

shouranpotter

shouranpotter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thank you so much.

But I still have one problem.
I don't know what that XP CD is.
I tried looking for it on my application CDs, but I only found this e-machines restore CDs.
Are they the same?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
No

Run sfc /scannow, if it asks for the CD, note which one it asks for, if you do not have it, click skip, confirm, if it keeps asking (4 or five times), click cancel

shouranpotter

shouranpotter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thank you very much again.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If it asks for an XP CD then you can borrow a same version as was originally installed CD, if you downloaded SP2, you need an SP1 XP CD

Advertisements

shouranpotter

shouranpotter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hello,

Is it possible to skip that part where I need the XP CD.
Windows File Protection asked for the Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM 3/4 of the whole scanning thing.
I can't find a similar CD-ROM version coz my friends are using laptops.
Or can I just download it and burn a copy?

Thanks in advance.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You won't download Windows

Keep asking because as it is asking for the CD, files are missing

You could ask the vendor if any of the CD's they supplied will work

shouranpotter

shouranpotter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thanks again!

I'll try if it's available at some internet cafes or I'll just try to look at PCWorld.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can run the rest

shouranpotter

shouranpotter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I can run the others even if I skip this part?

Thank you very very very much for the help!
Hope this will solve my PC problem.