Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Newbie - My C drive is near full-how do I transfer

• Please log in to reply

jandbstudios

jandbstudios

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My C drive holds 40 Gig with 10 remaining. I have bought a new 120Gig drive. How do I transfer and make this my new C drive?

Thanx :tazz:

Advertisements

Black Mage

Black Mage

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I'm not really sure of this but I think you might have to reinstall your computer so that you can add this as your C drive. But don't go right ahead and do this, check if I'm right :tazz:

jandbstudios

jandbstudios

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanx for getting back with me. I have not found any other topic that speak to this issue. I may be searching poorly.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

There are products such as Norton Ghost that let you mirror one to another also some hd manufacturers such as Maxtor and Western Digital have a mirror application on there website or cd that came with the drive and these are usually free if you have one of there drives.

This won't change the drive letter and to boot from the new drive you have to change the boot priority in bios to the new drives assighed letter.

If you use one of these products follow the instructions carefully because durring the process you also have to make the new drive bootable.

Rick

jandbstudios

jandbstudios

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanx Rick. Tell me if I am thinking right.
#1 Use ghost to copy C drive to CD/DVD.
#2 Take out old C drive and reboot to the new CD/DVD.
#3 If it boots, replace old C with new C and reboot to CD/DVD
#4 Have the contents of the DVD copied to the new harddrive
#5 Remove DVD and pray that the PC boots to the new hd.

Am I close? :tazz:

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
No, what you do is install the new drive as a slave on the same ide cable as the old drive. then you format the drive using software from the manufactuer

Then use ghost to copy C (old drive) to drive E or what ever letter the new drive is.
You then have a mirror image of the old drive copied to the new drive.

But again follow the software instructions to make the new drive bootable and you also have to change the boot priority in bios to drive E to boot from the new drive.

I have sucessfully done this using Maxtor hd's and maxblaster software, I now can boot from either drive by changing the order in bios and you should be able to do the same with any of the above software but Maxtor requiers at least 1 Maxtor drive as does Western digital.

Norton ghost because you pay for it will work with any drives.

Rick

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
One other thing I might add, if you don't want to mess with bios just use the above procedure then when copied switch the jumpers on the new drive to master and the jumper on the old drive to slave.

The new drive will then be drive c and the old drive e

Rick

jandbstudios

jandbstudios

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanx, big time! :tazz:

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip