Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound-ify Me Captain

• Please log in to reply

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
This may require an upgrade which is why it's posted here.

I was playing CS:S last night and decided to try and use my mic. I tried and the gamers I was playing with said that it was all static, I tried cleaning off the contacts and tried again. They then said it just skipping in and out very quickly.

My mic (a Plantronics GameCom 1 headset) worked on my old computer, but now it doesn't. My current sound situation is onboard RealTek audio. Is there a way to fix this or do I upgrade?

I was already considering upgrading to a Creative Audigy2ZS or a X-Fi Music (or whatever the lowest one is). Are these good choices if I do upgrade?

}BP{

Edited by BlackPandemic, 01 May 2006 - 08:23 AM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Never liked on-board sound. I have always switched to the audigy sound cards on every new build i do. I just got a deal on some refurbished Audigy 2ZS cards(10 of them). I'm just hoping they all work. I will be testing them as soon as they come in.

SRX660.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well the onboard is generally fine for most users and there is nothin technically wrong with its better than nothing. If the microphone isnt working on another system there is a problem with the microphone, otherwise its the onboard sound and you might try updating the drivers.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
I updated the drivers and still nothing. I tried it on the old compy again and it worked so I may just upgrade my sound card.

Any recommendations (under $150 preferably)? I've been looking at the Audigy2ZS and the X-Treme Music cards by Creative. Those good choices and which is best if I just want not onboard sound?

I'm not a sound junkie, I'm fine with 2.0 speakers and surround sound headphones so I don't need top o' the line stuff, just something to replace my onboard.

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
The X-Fi is the best for the money, I picked mine up at compusa for around 125. I bet you can get em cheaper online, I was just being impatient. The audigy 2zs is a good card also, but the X-Fi series has 300 times better sound quality. Personally, Id go with the X-Fi, its a little more expensive but well worth the extra cash.
-P.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Xfis are the kinda thing you only buy if you have everything else in your system up to scratch, if your sound system costs less that the card then dont bother getting one you need a half decent sound system to get the nest out of them.

Any audigy if youre looking for basics just a soundblaster will do the job sound is sound the differences arent something most people can notice alot of the time its a lacebo effect, and if i had spent a hundred quid on a sound card then i would think it sounded like the best thing in the world as well.

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Well let me put it this way, I have a high quality 7.1 home theater system. This X-Fi card on my comp. with my hardon karman 5.1 sounds as good if not better than the home theater system. Even if you dont have high quality speakers, you would still notice the difference on most headphones, even cheap ones. That and you can always remove it and put in a different rig.
But, if sound quality is not an issue you could always get a soundblaster live card, which is WAY cheaper than either of these 2.
-P.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
*warriorscot thinks placebo affect does wonder for sound

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Here's the deal as of now. Buy.com (who I have bought from before) has a deal (from Creative) for the Audigy 2 ZS Platinum.

The thing is $180 about and Creative has a $100 rebate on it, should I jump on it? I'm going to probably regardless, but I will reconsider if you tell me my computer will explode.

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Thats not a bad deal with the rebate, other than that $180 for that audigy is WAY too much. I think they usually sell for around $100.
-P.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
*warriorscot thinks if you spend that much better with an x-fi.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Stop thinking to yourself and tell me what the huge dif. is between the Audigy 2ZS Platinum (http://www.buy.com/p...5.html#creviews)
and a X-Fi Extreme Music...now don't get too nerdy on me...just like...better for gaming, or less resource hog, or the like.

Thanks!

JourneyMan

JourneyMan

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
XFI will support newer and future versions of EAX.

Personally, I did notice a difference in sound mapping between my budget edition Audigy2 and my $100 XFI. I've been involved with performing music for the better part of my life, so I can hear those sorts of things. I run a 2.1 sound system, so accurate 3D sound mapping is very important to me.

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Heres the lowdown on the difference between the 2 cards. The X-Fi has its own onboard processor the ONLY sound card that has one. The audigy and the X-Fi are both made by Creative (obviously). Even they say that the X-Fi has THREE HUNDRED TIMES BETTER SOUND QUALITY. Not to mention all the awesome utilities that come with it. You will not be disappointed with it thats for [bleep] sure, the only thing you might be disappointed with is your current speakers.
-P.
PS: Also, with this card having its own sound processor, itll reduce the load on your rig to process sound, making it faster, and youll be able to run all games at the highest possible sound setting, and that for a gamer makes a huge difference, it did for me anyway, especially in BF2 - I have it set to ultra high, sounds amazing.

Edited by p-zero, 03 May 2006 - 12:56 PM.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Here's my take after all this:

The Audigy 2ZS Platinum has a front side bay port thingy included which is a plus for me because I often switch between headphones and speakers (I have a multimedia switch but it doesn't work too well). Second it's only $68 after the rebate.

I know the X-Fi Extreme Music is good, no doubt, but hearing that it improves game/comp speeds is a big plus. Anybody else verify this? I've heard complaints about this card that:
1) No front port connectors
2) I've heard that it doesn't have enough ports or something in the back? And they're hard to read but the stickers are even more of a pain?

Testimonials anyone? :whistling: