Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

shield wireless antenna?

• Please log in to reply

dber

dber

• Pip
  • 5 posts
:whistling: I have installed an IBM high rate wireless mini pci card into an IBM T23 laptop, the antennae for the 14" LCD's were unavailable at the time, so I purchased the ones for the 15" LCD's instead, and installed them as shown for the 15" models.
I then tried to connect, but had a very low signal, upon further investigation, I have discovered that the LCD screen is causing interferance with the antennae, if I pull the screen away from the case (where the antennae are located), I get 100% signal, and it only has to move about 1 or 2 mm to do this.
Is there any way to shield the antennae from the LCD interferance?

Edited by dber, 01 May 2006 - 09:03 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
you could try maybe a layer of tin foil or something like that underneath the monitor in t he area where the card is...other than that i haven't heard of anything specifically designed for this application

dber

dber

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks dsenette, I will try that first, I found a site where they had a picture of the correct antennae for this machine, and they are totally different, they come on a breadboard and are longer and skinnier than the ones that I have used, which are just flat rectangles of copper with traces on them

dber

dber

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Now I am really confused, I can tape the antennae directly onto the back of the LCD, and not get any interferance until it is pushed back into the case, then suddenly loses signal, the case is only plastic, how can this be???