Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blank Screen with nVidia 7600 GS

• Please log in to reply

emoskater84

emoskater84

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have a Dell 4700 with a pentium 4 3.0 and 512 mb. It also has INTEGRATED VIDEO.

I recently bought a new GeForce nVidia 7600 gs PCI-Express video card.

I went into BIOS and changed my video settings to "AUTO" rather than "INTREGRATED" however upon installation of the card the monitor doesnt power up. The computer powers up and everything is working, I'm just not receiving a signal from the video card. That cards fan is working so I assume everything is fine I just dont know why I'm not getting a signal.

I disabled my graphics accelerator...am I missing something???

Any Help for a newbie PLEASE!!!

Advertisements

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Did you install the drivers for the new card?
-P.

emoskater84

emoskater84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I sure did!

I also went into my "Device Manager" - then "Display adapters" - disabled my current drivers(intel accelerator)

Am I suppose to update my driver to the ones I just installed? When I tried to it wouldn't let me.

What do I do???

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Try disabling the onboard in bios, disabling it in windows only tells it not to use it, also do you have your monitor plugged into the gfx card and not where it was before.

emoskater84

emoskater84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
In BIOS I only have two options under "video." It's either "AUTO" or "INTEGRATED."

I left it on "AUTO."

So I put my graphics card in....Plugged the moniter into the graphics card and NOTHING....I can hear the computer loading up but my monitor isnt getting a signal.

But

When I take the graphics card out and plug it into the integrated its fine. When I leave the card in and leave the monitor in the integrated my computer wont load up.

Maybe I dont have enough power????

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Power is a possibilty, due you have another pc with a pci-e slot or a friend with one to try the card out, it could just be a dead card. Dell dont put very powerful PSUs in there systems they are a pain in the [bleep] to replace them as well because they can be propreitary so you should hope the card is just a no go(happens in electronics) and the manufacturer will just replace it for you. If its a problem with the PSU it may be more difficult and expensive.

emoskater84

emoskater84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I check the specifics for my card as far as power supply. My EVGA nVidia 7600 GS requires 350 watts and my dell 4700 only puts out 305 watts.

I just ordered a brand new power supply of 350 watts and I'll let everyone know how it works out.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
*warriorscot thinks, He would order something more unless it is a true power(if dell it isnt) they rarely actually put out the proper wattage unless they are stated to be true power and are from a reliable company.

Edited by warriorscot, 02 May 2006 - 12:39 PM.

emoskater84

emoskater84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Does DELL make bigger than 350 watts as far as power supplies go for the 4700??

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
It just dawned on me. Other than your PSU being inadequate, you might need to reflash your BIOS. When I was upgrading my Dell, it was running BIOS A_05 (something like that), in order for it to pick up my new HDD and other goodies I had to reflash it to A_09. Might wanna give it a shot. A few things to keep in mind when reflashing though, its VERY important that while its flashing to the new BIOS you DONT TOUCH ANYTHING. Not the mouse, not the KB, nothin. If that happens it could crash in a very bad way.
-P.

emoskater84

emoskater84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
How do I reflash my BIOS to A_09???

How do I know which BIOS upgrade I have??

Edited by emoskater84, 03 May 2006 - 01:39 PM.