Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing D drive!

• Please log in to reply

slowen

slowen

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello,

I've tried to search your site for this topic but none of the suggestions are helping me. I have a laptop with both a C drive and a D drive. The D drive is used for CDs and DVDs. The other day I was burning a disc and when I started to burn a second disc, the D drive was missing. Just like that. Here is what I've already done:

- Reboot - SEVERAL times.
- Checked Device Manager - nothing there; doesn't even recognize a CD drive or DVD drive.
- Ran virus scans and spyware scans - nothing unusual or anything that didn't clean up with the scan.

Please help if you can.

Thanks.

Advertisements

williamleo

williamleo

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I had the same problem. Had to go to add new hardware and let windows find my D drive. Restarted and it was there. I uninstalled it in device manager, rebooted and it's been ok since. hope this helps.

slowen

slowen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks a million for your reply. One more question for you - when you let Windows find your drive, did you need to insert the Windows disc or was Windows able to do it by itself? This might be a dumb question but I have to ask just in case...

williamleo

williamleo

• Pip
  • 8 posts
You shouldn't need any disks. The drivers are on your computer. I said "add new hardware", it's just "add hardware", sorry. I'll be here a while, let me know if you need any more help.

Bill

slowen

slowen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks again for your help; unfortunately I'm at work so I won't be able to try it until later, but I appreciate your help nonetheless!!

williamleo

williamleo

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have this set for email notifications so I'll know when you post again. And you are welcome, I'm more than happy to help.
Bill

slowen

slowen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi Bill,

Sorry to say this but your suggestion did not work. Windows doesn't even give me the option to add/fix/repair/update/uninstall/reinstall a CD/DVD drive. It's as if I never had one to begin with. Have you ever heard of such a thing?

williamleo

williamleo

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Have you tried safe mode yet? reboot your computer and keep tapping the F8 key, then select safe mode. See if your computer sees the drive then. If it does, uninstall the drive in device manager and reboot in normal startup mode. Your computer should find the new hardware and install it with the drivers.

slowen

slowen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
No, I have not tried any of this in safe mode (I should know better); okay, I'll try it tonight and let you know tomorrow.

williamleo

williamleo

• Pip
  • 8 posts
To add new hardware manually, go to start button, settings, control panel, double click add hardware, then click next, the wizard will search for any hardware connected to your computer. If the drive is good, it should find it and install the drivers. If it doesn't find it, you should be able to use the add hardware wizard to select it from the list.

mandyb

mandyb

• Pip
  • 1 posts
If your drive is a removeable bay you could try popping it out and reseating it firmly.

slowen

slowen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Just wanted to say to everyone that the last suggestion helped - I couldn't believe it but I pushed in the D drive and I heard a "click"; afterward, I started it up and lo and behold, there's my D drive. Thanks again to everyone that tried to help me out!