Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Viewsonic VX2025wm V. Gateway FPD2185W

• Please log in to reply

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Hello. I am on the market to buy me a new monitor. My old CRT Dell that I bought with XPS 400 a long time ago is kinda "Old".

So here are my two choices: Viewsonic VX2025wm and Gateway FPD2185W. Considering that the price is irrelevant, which is my best choice? I am looking at response rate, better color, Etc. Is Viewsonic HD compliant and has a swivel? Also, I have video card ATI Radeon 9800 Pro. Will those monitors be able to support it?

Please let me know what you think.

Thank you. :whistling:

Advertisements

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Your video card can handle the native resolutions of both monitors. I checked out the reviews on CNet.com which you should check out (there is a video review for the Gateway).

From that both sound pretty equal in terms of quality. The Gateway does have an incredible amount of adjustability (but I don't think you need swiveling and pivoting, but it depends on where you put the monitor).

The main problem I see is that the Gateway doesn't come with the DVI cable and they aren't too cheap.

In my opinion, considering the brand's rep and the specifications, I would go with the Viewsonic monitor personally. Check out CNet and see which you like better. :whistling:

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
I wish you could say Gateway. :whistling: My main concern at this point is Video and Image Quality. Also, which one has a better black, and few or no dead pixels. :blink: Viewsonic has speakers that I will never use as well.

Edited by bigdog1100, 03 May 2006 - 09:06 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Speakers arent a factor i wish people would stop mentioning them in monitor reviews, having speakers on monitors is really its a tradition thing and put on to make it more appealing to corporate buyers, youre not actually going to use them or at least no one in there right mind would given a choice.

Viewsonic, Samsung and sony usually come out with the best montiors sony usually has the bset image quality but you pay for it, Samsung are the cheapest because they make the panels themselves so have the lowest costs, viewsonic is kinda in between and Hyundais are kinda in between viewsonic and sony usually, but it can depend on the monitor itself sometimes you can get a really rubbish sony and the samsung is the best, Hyundias usually get very good reviews.

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Ok. So how does Gateway compares to Viewsonic?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
see you are in as good a positon as me to tell here as ive never seen anything from gateway in the UK or Europe, i would imagine they would be as good as any other generic monitor brand.

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Oh ok. Well I am in the USA. And I've seen it. It's awesome piece of equipment I am eager to have. But if viewsonic is better, and it is cheaper for about 200 bucks, I will get that.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The viewsonic is certainly a good monitor from what i can read if it viewsonic usually are.

HD is a television standard LCD computer monitors dont use it as they just state the resolutions, if you want HD resolution you can get 720p standard on it no bother its actually below the native, however 1080 standard is higher than that to get a monitor to have that high a res youll need to spend alot more but on that size of screen youll be fine with the res, the difference between monitors in the ranges are usually fairly minimal and cost is going to be your biggest factor, the technology changes so rapidly you can get the best one month and its mid range the next.

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Good morning. I can be totally off track here, but isn't HD on monitor is so that I can hook up my cable or any other HD source and watch HD content?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
No that would be an HDMI socket you are after not alot of monitors actually have that, it will have DVI though which is similar and most HD video equipment uses DVI as well as the HDMI(they are pretty much the same).

But HD content is just a higher resolution image which is something most PCs can use in games anyway, those monitors support the reolution for 720p but not the higher 1080 standard which is a very high resolution 1900sumthing by 1400 sumthin. Which would cost you a fortune for a monitor with that res.

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
I would go with ViewSonic, there monitors are very fast and very good. Never had a problem with 1 and my past 3 monitors have been ViewSonic's

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
:) Hello. I bought Viewsonic. Because it was on sale for $100 less than the cheapest price available on the net. As if the sale was especially for me. :blink: So, I am now complete. This subject can be closed. Thanks to all for providing me with your support. :whistling: :)

PS It berely fits into my PC Desk. :help: