Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How to work wireless Netgear Mimo router!

• Please log in to reply

hoggle2000

hoggle2000

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Ok I've bought a Netgear modem/router DG834G but its in my lounge with my Xbox 360 connected by ethernet. I want to be able to use my laptop and PC in other rooms in the house but the range wasnt good enough.

My laptop has a built in wireless Smart card thingy and my PC is using a Netgear wireless USB Adaptor.

To increase the range I bought a Netgear Rangeless Mimo router WPN824. However, I found configuring it confusing. My PC can 'see' the network but can't connect and the laptoip appears to be still using just the original modem. These are my main issues/questions:

1) When I configured the Mimo router it seemed identical to the way I set up the original Netgear modem. Am I effectively creating a different network to my original one? If I called my original network 'Hoggle' do I still call the Mimo network 'Hoggle' or is it a different network.

2) I used WEP security in the modem but when configuring the Mimo router it offere WEP2 security which I used (therefore the two pieces of equipment have different security policies).

3) Basically, am I supposed to be configuring the Mimo to mirror the settings of the original network or am I creating a new network to which the laptop and PC must be configured to access.

Im sorry about waffling but Im sure those in the know would get what Im saying and I would appreciate some help. Although Netgear works well, their instructions are awful, if not non-existant!

Cheers!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
your problem is probably with the wep2..your laptop and pc may not be capable of using that protocol...remove all security on the router and see if you can connect that way...