Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disillusioned

• Please log in to reply

FilmAtEleven

FilmAtEleven

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I came here a month ago looking for some help with my hijacked computer. I followed all the required steps first and I read several other threads to see if I could pick up some tips and to get a feel for how things worked around here. I posted my problem and HJT file and expected to wait 2 days for a response based on the turnaround time on other threads. To my delight I got a response from Admin in just over 1 day. I quickly but diligently followed Admin's instructions and my computer got much better (not perfect, but much better). I thought I struck gold here! I replied with my results and a new HJT file.

That's when the help stopped.

After nearly a week I bumped my thread. Admin responded that I should re-run a virus scan and post a new HJT file. I did.

After 5 days with no response, I bumped the thread.

Another 3 days later, I bumped it again,

Another 5 days and another bump.

It's been 4 days since then. If you think I'm making this up or omitting how pesky or belligerent I must have been, then judge for youself: http://www.geekstogo...d_of-t8841.html

So now I am completely disillusioned with this site. At first I thought it was great, but now I know this site is another case of "you get what you pay for". I probably should have known that from the start, but I was desperate and too broke to pay someone for the help.

In the final analysis, there is a bright point. I was forced to learn some things on my own and I ended up pretty much fixing the last few problems myself (at least I hope I did). So while I'm not at all happy with my overall experience here, at least I've learned some technical things that might help me in the future.

Advertisements

hrdwrjnkie

hrdwrjnkie

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
This is one of those cases where if you want someone to fix something for you, go pay someone to do it. However, if you want the pride of saying that you fixed it yourself, and learning something in the process, sites like this are the way to go.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

So now I am completely disillusioned with this site. At first I thought it was great, but now I know this site is another case of "you get what you pay for". I probably should have known that from the start, but I was desperate and too broke to pay someone for the help.

Please realize that everyone in here does this for free on there spare time, the logs posted here are hard to analyze and takes training to be able to do this. The good folks here not only study what to look for but must recognize the problems in each log and tell you how to fix it.

I don't analyze logs I spend my time trying to help out in hardware but when I see a post with no respones or has been bumped I look the posters problem up and at least try to give them a response to direct them to a fix

The folks that analyze these logs don't have that luxury they have to find it and with the number of logs that get posted here I can only imagine what this takes.

You have learned from Geeks to Go maybe its time to give something back and help make it better it don't cost a thing but your time and remember someone did give thier time to you.

Rick

Guest_thatman_*

Guest_thatman_*
Hi FilmAtEleven

I have reply to the member with a fix waiting for a reply

Kc :tazz:

vnesheim

vnesheim

• Pip
  • 3 posts

This is one of those cases where if you want someone to fix something for you, go pay someone to do it.  However, if you want the pride of saying that you fixed it yourself, and learning something in the process, sites like this are the way to go.

View Post

I agree. It's unfortunate when someone "expects" what is essentially an upaid volunteer staff to "fix his/her problem". One must take the time to research, experiment and ultimately to assist in fixing their own problem. How is one to learn otherwise?

Being a "newbie" to this forum, I have found many tidbits that I have added to my "wetware" knowledge base. Great work, people. Keep it up.

Resident_Blonde

Resident_Blonde

Formerly known as "Crafty_Girl"

• PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
FilmAtEleven,

Hello and I will still welcome you to GTG...

I'm truly sorry to hear about your wait, and would love to help you in anyway possible in understanding what our site Staff and Mods do on a daily basis.

I myself have needed a HJT log check and ended up being on pg. 5 before a reply and also have had my share of bumps.

But to be honest with you, this is the best site for computer help, or any other help that you may feel in need of.

We are a Community and a very friendly and helping one at that, let alone, there are allot of people in my life that I know that would not even do what the Staff and Mods do for free.

But with a bit more patience, you will soon get your issues fixed.

But also, here is the stats that you can look over so that you can see how busy we actually are...

Good luck and wish you well...

OK :tazz: I'm trying to attach the stats, but for some reason, when I preview my post before I add, it is not showing the stats.

So to any Staff or Mods that know how to attach the last stats for GTG, could you please post them in the topic...

Thanks

;)