Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Scandisk has to keep running to allow access to Windows ME

• Please log in to reply

technician

technician

• Pip
  • 3 posts
O.S. Windows ME. When I start my computer Windows loads up to taskbar and desktop icons are loaded. Desktop screen then changes from default blue to white, Avtive Desktop closes and windows then restarts. On restart Scandisk runs and if I use cntrl/alt/del to end Autochk and Lexps tasks I can keep Scandisk running by continually writing to the disk (opening and closing a programme) and this allows me access to all programmes including internet. All programmes work prefectly as long as Scandisk is running. If I allow Scandisk to complete a scan Windows restarts. While Scandisk was running I installed and ran Spybot and AVG to clean all files. I then re-installed Windows but the problem remains - I need to keep Scandisk running to access my computer. ?????????????????????? Can anybody please advise.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi technician...

Sounds like your HDD is going out. Scandisk is trying to recover bad sectors, but is unable to. The next time it runs, untick the box to "Automatically Fix Errors" and see if it will complete a scan and give you a report.

wannabe1