Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

no sound from monitor mounted speakers

• Please log in to reply

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
Hi all

I'm trying help a friend over the phone with their audio problems. started two weeks ago right after they installed a scanner. Now they have no audio at all. went through the control panels settings, and the audio troubleshooter with no luck. Everyhing looks like it should work.

had them unistall the scanner, no luck. they are using a realtek97 audio card.

He says that he is using speakers built into the sides of his monitor. He claims that there is not a seperate cable for the audio signals to those speakers, but I'm skeptical. It seems to me that there usually is a seperate cable for the speakers, and I'm thinkting thye accidently disconnected during the scanner install.

Is it common for monitor mounted speakers to get their signal through the one video cable for the monitor?

TIA

emcguy

Advertisements

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
No. That wouldn't happen at all. The analog and DVI outputs on graphics cards are souly for video. Audio is obviously from a sound card, unless of course the speakers are USB. If anything else he will have a 1/4" (might be 1/8") Jack plug for the speakers