Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can someone explain domain pointing?

• Please log in to reply

Liadan

Liadan

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I'm a little confused about domain pointing. :whistling:
Can I buy a new domain name and have it point to a folder on the website I already have?
For example, could I point a new domain to "www.olddomain.com/folder"? Or, can you only point it to the index or a subdomain?
How would it work, would the visitors type in "www.newdomain.com" and see that address, OR would they see www.olddomain.com/folder?
What I want to do is create another website without paying the cost of another webhosting service. I want to have the two sites together, but where it won't look like it is. I hope this makes sense.
Thanks.

Advertisements

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
If a person types in www.olddomain.com they will see the root folder UNLESS you have a meta refresh in your index.html file that redirects to a different folder (ie your folder named "folder")

If you are going to use another domain name at the same site then you will need to have the DNS point to that particular folder (www.newdomain.com DNS record should point to www.olddomain.com/folder),