Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Tweaking My Bios

• Please log in to reply

Marty L Mayes

Marty L Mayes

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
I was wanting to know is it worth,the efert to tweek my bios.I have a artical from PC Building Bible 2006 Magazine,on how to tweek my bios.It calls for Adjusting your CAS Latency,and Adjusting your Memory Timing.It's a very therow article,with step buy step instructions.with pictures.Thanks for any tips or comments on this

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well there are a fwe tweaks that you can make to fine tune your system i generally dont use them very often as if youve got optimised defaults loaded on a good mobo they are mostly done anyway just a few more risky or hazardous ones are left out.

No harm in trying though as long as you dont mess with the voltages, you can always reset the CMOS, the performance gain isnt huge but if you feel confident you can give it a try.

Marty L Mayes

Marty L Mayes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Thanks I might give it a try later,I can allways switch it back.no voltage change,thats a nono.

JourneyMan

JourneyMan

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
go nuts

Marty L Mayes

Marty L Mayes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
I went to cmos and the part where I need to change is grayed out,I set my password in cmos,so I will be the only one that can make changes,but it still gray shaded.whats the problem?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

I went to cmos and the part where I need to change is grayed out,I set my password in cmos,so I will be the only one that can make changes,but it still gray shaded.whats the problem?

Means the board's been set up to set all that CAS Latency and stuff automatically. I really wouldn't argue with the board on this one, as its asked the memory what its optimal settings are and used them. They might not be the fastest but they're the ones that definitely work.

JourneyMan

JourneyMan

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
You may have to set a jumper on your motherboard in order to change those settings. Please refer to your motherboard manual or your manufacturers webiste for information.