Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System problems and XP

• Please log in to reply

CAUTION5697

CAUTION5697

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
ive had my new sysytem for a while and have had numerous problems. From the beinginning ive had problems with lockups. When i am running the system, uaually while playing a game, but not always. the screen will freeze, music stop playing, mouse freeze, and the computer will still run, fan and lights and whatnot. I have not yet been able to get it out of this lockup except for restarting it.

The next problem is recent. I just installed a new power supply after blowing out my old one and also a fan speed controller. 2 days after i had another lockup and when i restarted it the boot screen that says windows xp is stuck. The bar moves but it just keeps gonig and never boots up the computer. The one thing that i have noticed is that the bar is uaually green but now since it has been like this it has turned blue. Ive tried booting in safe mode but that doenst work either. Lastly i tried to repair the OS using the xp cd but since it wont get paste that screen i can boot it up.

My last problem is my CPU temperatre. Today when i was trying to figure out these problems, i went into the bios and looked at the CPU temp. It was reading 140 degrees F. I wonder if this is contributing to any of the problems. The CPU has thermal paste and is not overclocked but i am wondering if the paste is being used incorrectly of whatever else the problem could be.

here are the system specs if you need to see them
intel 3.2 Ghz processor with hyper threading
1 gig ocz dual channel DDRII 667
Seagate 300 gig Harddrive
Asrock 775 dual 880 pro motherboar
Asus Nvidia 6800 GT 256 megs ram
ultra 500 watt x connect power supply
Xion II Case
Dual dvd burner drives
ultra commander fan speed controller (currenty removed becaue it has broken but was installed when problems started)

Advertisements

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
140f is 60C, which in my opinion is way too hot. Check your CPU fan, heatsink, clean as neccessary. If its clean, then Id say reseat your heatsink to the CPU, always reapply new thermal paste, you dont have to use a lot. If that still doesnt work then Id say try runnin your rig with the cover off, see if it crashes, usually crashes are caused by excessive heat. So basically if it doesnt crash with the cover off you need better cooling or a better case.
-P.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
*warriorscot thinks, when reseating HSF remember to clean of old compound with alcohol and cotton buds.

CAUTION5697

CAUTION5697

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
thanks for the advice but the first problem that i had is getting the computer working again. it is stuck on the boot screen and hasnt moved from there, just like i described in the original post. if you have any ideas on what i can do to solve that problem first id appreciate it.

CAUTION5697

CAUTION5697

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
well i finally got my system running agina and i reapplied the thermal paste and now its doen to around 47-50 degrees c, is there anything else i can do to lower the temp? heres a SpeedFan screenshot of it if it helps

Attached Thumbnails

• SpeedFan.jpg

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
add extra case fans to create more airflow.With all the gear you have generates masses of heat .Keep system dust free,I had an old Athlon1800xp that run consistantly at 50+ and above during game play with no problems,my current gear is in same case 2 extra power supply fans fitted to rear cpu runs at 38c
cheers :whistling:

Anton1382

Anton1382

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
Just to add a little note. Intel processors are known to heat up and need extra fans. I recommend getting more fans and if that doesn't work, get a new case that comes with a specialized airflow system :whistling: