Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Reinstalling Win 2000 question

• Please log in to reply

Ferrante

Ferrante

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
A buddy of mine instaled Windows 2000 last week on his older computer and today he went to boot up and it says a file is corrupted or missing and to reinstall the file. I do not know which file it is, but he says that it will not go past that point, so how can he reinstall? Can someone give me detailed help on what to do once he places the Win2000 disk in and then boots up to that file missing point?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Ferrante!

I will need to know the name of the file that is missing/corrupt before we can continue. Please ask your buddy for that information and we can proceed.

Fenor

Ferrante

Ferrante

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
I will ask him for the name of the file. Until then, with the system not starting up, how can he get into dos and from there run the system file checker, which I believe would replace the file as long as the disk was in the drive. Is that correct? Also, he does not get home from work until 5:30p.m.e.s.t. today, so I cannot post the exact file until then. Thanks.

Ferrante

Ferrante

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
When he tries to boot up, he gets this:

Windows 2000 could not start because of the following files are missing or corrupt: windows2000root/system32/ntoskrnl.exe. (Then it says to please reinstall file. He cannot get past that when trying to boot normally, but when pressing F9 or F* or whatever at the strart, he can get into those areas, but I am not sure where to go or what to do. Any ideas?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Sorry Ferrante, lost track of this topic. Is your buddy still having this problem?

Fenor