Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help please!

• Please log in to reply

picpic91

picpic91

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi
after starting up the computer, it shuts down almost immediatly after i move the mouse! i catch a glipse of an ending processes window, but its so fast i cant read it. i tried booting in safe mode with no luck. i opened the case to the computer to make sure its not an overheating issue, although there was alot of dust in the case...but it still shuts down.

i have no idea how to solve this problem :whistling: :blink: :help: i would really appreciate any help and i am hoping i will be able to fix this as i have some important files on there.

thank you so much for help!

Advertisements

Flrman1

Flrman1

Malware Assassin

• Retired Staff
  • 6,596 posts
I moved your thread to the XP forum. At this point I don't see this as a malware problem.

One of our staff members that deal with these issues will come along soon and offer advice. I mainly deal with malware issues.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi picpic91...

Did this problem appear just "out of the blue"? Or did it start after installing new software or Windows updates? Do you hear an audible "snap" or "click" when it shuts down?

wannabe1

picpic91

picpic91

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
hello and thank you all so much for the help!

this just recently happened yesterday without warning.

it seems to be getting worse also. now it is restarting as well as shutting down and it displays warning screens. sometimes it doesnt boot up at all.

when ever i move the mouse the computer shuts down. so ive been trying to manage with the hotkeys. i think it is a virus because it terminates ccapp which i think is norton antivirus. and in the process there is one listed as csrss.exe which i think is a trojan.

i don't know what do to as its extremely hard to keep the computer from shutting down.

i would be really greatful for any help

thankyou

edit: no snap or click heard

Edited by picpic91, 02 May 2006 - 08:34 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Does "Search" open from the Start button? If it does, do a search for csrss.exe and let me knoe if it shows up in C: (C:\csrss.exe)

picpic91

picpic91

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
the computer is now restarting after about 10 seconds of hitting the keyboard too....

idk if this means anything but now the computer is only restarting not shutting down. when it restarts, nothing shows up on the monitor though.

thanks

picpic91

picpic91

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
ok i got it to search this time

the csrss.exe file showed up 5 times in C: they are all named csrss except one which is named CSRSS.EXE-12B63473. that file is a pf file and the other csrss ones are applications.

hope that helps

thanks again for this help

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Are these in C: or in C:\Windows\System32 or C:\Windows\inf, etc....I'm interested in finding one located only in the root drive C:

picpic91

picpic91

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
ones in prefetch, some in system32, servicepack, and something with $'s in it.

is that what u were asking?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yup...sure was! :whistling: In your case, csrss.exe is a normal (and required) Windows file...not a virus.

Can you use your mouse at all without hanging the computer? If not, are you familiar with using the keyboard to access and manipulate files and folders?

Advertisements

picpic91

picpic91

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
i cant use the mouse without it crashing. im kinda familiar with keyboard access but not really advanced. if you could show me how to do some of the hotkeys that would be great! what do you think is the problem with this computer?

thankyou for all ur patience and help! I have to go now and am signing off for the night.

thanks again

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...Let's try a system restore from the "Run" command.

Press [Ctrl + Alt + Delete] to open Task Manager. In Task Manager, press [Alt + O]...if "Always on Top" has a check beside it, press [Enter]...then press [Alt + F] and press [Enter] Type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe in the box and press [Enter].

The System Restore window should open. "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is selected, press [Alt + N] to move to the next screen. Press the [Tab] key until you see the [<] in the calendar (left of May) is selected and press [Enter]...if April 30 is selected, press [Enter] then press [Enter] again. System Restore should begin to restore the configuration saved on April 30 and restart.

Once completed, let me know if the machine runs as it should.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 02 May 2006 - 11:20 PM.

picpic91

picpic91

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
um it froze shut down, and isnt turning on anymore. could this be hardware?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
When you opened the case, did you check the CPU cooler to see that ir was not packed with dust? Do the fans still spin up? Can you hear any activity from the Hard Drive when you turn it on...and do you hear a "beep" a few seconds after powering on?

picpic91

picpic91

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
the computer its self is back on again, however it wasnt showing anything on the monitor. i checked the HD-15 Monitor Connector and sa;w that a few pins were bent.. i tried to fix it but made it worse :whistling: dang it bad luck... do you know of a place that sells replacement parts for the motherboard? like another Hd-15?

thanks