Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft Word Help

• Please log in to reply

gottahavealaugh

gottahavealaugh

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi,

I am trying to do a index in the back of my assignment for college, so instead of using the 'Find' option where I find a word and writing down page numbers it is on which can be extremely time-consuming, I was wondering if others may have advices or tips to where you can just type word and the page numbers will automacally come up which includes that word....hope this make sense! :blink:

I really would appreciate anyone's help! :whistling:

gottahavealaugh :help:

Advertisements

strictor

strictor

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
You can convert the file to a .pdf. Then use Adobe to find the words you want. If you click the binoculars on the toolbar to search, the results will all show up in a new colum on the right. Simply hover over each search result entry and the page # will be displayed.

gottahavealaugh

gottahavealaugh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I have tried conveting it to PDF but no luck. I am using Microsoft Word 2002 in my assignment. I have adobe reader 5.0 and 7.0 if thats any help?

strictor

strictor

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Try this software for converting to PDF. Download the first 2 items and install. I use it all the time it is great and free.

http://www.pdf995.com/download.html

gottahavealaugh

gottahavealaugh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I downloaded it and when to proceed to convert the file i wanted to use and everything just went so slow and it freezed. i then reboot the PC and it just went mega slow and then freeze...it keeps doing this each time i try to reboot....???

strictor

strictor

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hmm. That's wierd. I would then uninstall it and find some other software for converting to PDF.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I always used openoffice for that kind of stuff if i needed a pdf and word wouldnt do it, open offices pdf support is alot better than words and it can read the .doc files as well which is a plus.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it may be different in office 2000 but here's the info for 2k3

http://office.micros...1892831033.aspx

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://support.micro...om/?kbid=260833
http://support.micro...kb/212346/en-us
http://support.micro...kb/255908/en-us

a few 2000 specific listings

gottahavealaugh

gottahavealaugh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
When i turn the PC on, I cant do anything, it just freeze when going to desktop :blink:
I went to click on Start, then Control Panel to remove the files, then the comp just freezes, can't do anything more, its just get slower and slower...arghhh :whistling:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
can you do a system restore to a time before you installed whatever ungodly pdf converter that was?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

The free versions of pdf995 products will display a sponsor page in your web browser each time you run the software. If you would prefer not to see sponsor pages, you may upgrade by obtaining a key at any time for $9.95. A suite key for all three products is also available for $19.95. Group keys for 25 or more users are also available. Purchasing also entitles you to email support by software engineers (12-hour response time).

i don't like the looks of that at all

maybe before trying the system restore...see if you can uninstall the program from safe mode

gottahavealaugh

gottahavealaugh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
What keys do i press to go to safe mode?

gottahavealaugh

gottahavealaugh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
What keys do i press to go to safe mode?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
on reboot press f8 during boot...you'll get a menu for different startup options...choose safe mode from the list