Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Spyware and Firefox (?)

• Please log in to reply

jems

jems

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
I am having problems getting rid of spyware on my computer - spyware which only seems to be active when using Firefox as my browser and not when using IE (so much for super secure Firefox). The only extensions I use are Tabrowsers Preferences and SessionSAver - I have been worried there might be some kind of glitch in Session SAver (!?)

In addition I am getting problems with the bold text seen in links on webpages - I have asked about this before but nobody could help.

Posted Image

I run Spybot, Adaware, CW Shredder and Spyware Doctor regularly - Spybot finds loads of items and says they have been removed but then they come right back again. Nothing else finds any problems. FYI: the probs spybot finds include: DoubleClick, HitBox, FastClick, MediaPlex, Avenue.A.Inc, Advertising.com.

Can anyone help me out with getting rid of these annoying tracking cookies (?) and solve my text problems?

Advertisements

Burton1

Burton1

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Those Cookies are normal for me, I always get those. If you think this is a Spyware/Maleware related problem, I would recommend you to Read the rules at the Maleware Forums and post there.

Maleware Forum

Good luck :whistling:

Edited by Burton1, 02 May 2006 - 07:24 AM.

jems

jems

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
normal - gah - so i just have to put up with them hogging my browsing. :whistling: why only in forefox though? anyone know?

and any ideas about the text issues wouold be helpful.

I am about to uninstall firefox and all it's related parts and then do a spyware minesweep before reinstalling the latest friefox version........maybe this might help??

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
They are about to release a new update for ff in a couple of hours so wait till 1.503 is released. couple of scripts i think are a must for ff and should be standard in every browser are noscript the java blocker(can be annoying but if a page doesnt work and you trust it just enable scripts for that site) and adblock to block ads.

You get cookies from alot of sites alot wont work without them they arent really necesarily spyware you just dont want to hold on to them longer than you need to.

jems

jems

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
oh well i just reinstalled 5.0.2. - i'll perhaps uninstall again and reinstall the new version once its out later tonight.

any idea why firefox doesn't update itself - i always thought it used to update itself but it doesn't seem to anymore? or did it never?

also - after uninstalling and deleting the mozilla/firefox files from my programs it still seemed to remember my bookmarks and extensions - any idea where all that stuff is saved so i can remove alll traces in case there is a bug in there somewhere? :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah it does auto update, really i dont think there is actually anything wrong or a bug, cookies are a normal thing to have, the only difference is you can see them, if you use IE or anyother browser you get them as well you can disable them completley usually and stop sites from using them however they are neccesary for some sites and are useful for others there are malicous cookies but they arent all like that and the worse you get from cookies are tracking cookies as far as i know and you just get rid of them with a spyware scan, they are normal to have.

Edited by warriorscot, 02 May 2006 - 11:01 AM.