Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Prioritize network cards

• Please log in to reply

hulud

hulud

• PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
hello,

in my laptop i have 2 network cards, a wireless and a wired. the wireless network card tries to connect when i want to join a domain, but i need to use the wired to get assigned an ip address on the domain... is there a way to set it up so that the laptop always tries to connect using the wired card first, and then falls back to the wireless when the wired is unavailable???

any help would be much appreciated.

thanks

:whistling:

Advertisements

hulud

hulud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
sorted!

for anyone who may not know and are curious

Network Connections -> Advanced -> Advanced Settings

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
that's correct...but...for future reference WIRED connections always take precedence over wireless connections... PLUS it doesn't matter WHAT device is actually connected first (as long as the one you need is connected...i.e. the wired one) as they will have different ip addresses (assumed to be on different subnets) so y our machine will route the traffic accordingly (such as...i've got both wired and wireless here at work...if i go on a trip...and forget to turn off my wireless card when i come back...the wireless card will connect...but since i've also got a wired connection plugged in...i'm still connected as usual to the domain through the wired connection and i get an ip address on that connection as usual (the wireless network has a different subnet)...so all traffic destined for the wired subnet goes through the wired connection and all traffic destined for anything on the wireless subnet does the same)