Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Mouse Lags And System Lags

• Please log in to reply

creepysound

creepysound

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hello Geeks to Go. First I want to thank any and all who will be helping me. It is greatly appreciated and I look forward to maybe coming to a solution for my issue. Thank you all for your time you will provide. I’m not really sure what forum to post this in since I don’t know what could be causing my problem so I’ll just post in ONE place maybe it can be moved to where it may need to go?

My Computer Specs:

Motherboard: MSI K8N Neo SLI
Processor: AMD 939 64 4000+ San Diego Core
Ram: Corsair 2GB Value Select VS1GB400C3 ( in 2 x 1GB sticks)
Video Card: 1 XFX 7800GT PCI Express
Hard Drives: 80GB Western Digital SATA
120 GB Western Digital SATA
Sound Card: Using Built in Motherboard Creative 7.1 HD Sound
Operating System: Win XP Pro

Ok, now on to the problem.
Starting a few months ago my system started to lag very randomly. Let me explain fully though before anyone jumps to conclusions and what I have tried to do to resolve it.

You can first notice the lag at the windows welcome screen, before your even logged Into Windows. The mouse cursor will skip around the screen. I’m using a Logitech MX500 that I have used through 3 custom built computers now. This is the first computer that I have which I have had this. I’ve already tried changing out mouse with still the same results.

Upon logging into windows, Once its Lagging - if you try to play a Game it will lag.(Game will Skip every 2 seconds) If you try to play a music file, the music will be choppy. If you even use the arrow keys to navigate the windows start menu, even then it will lag there as well. Basically once the system lags, it lags in EVERY respect, weather it’s playing a game, playing music or moving the cursor. Its very random and can go away for a week, and then plague me for several days straight. It also can just go away with a blink of an eye and not happen again for many hours. I can not think of anything hardware or software that changed when this problem first started to occur.

Now on to the things I have tried to do to resolve this.

I have run many adware/spyware scans. I have used Windows Defender, Ewido Security, Ad Aware, and probably many others I can’t think of right now.
I have run anti virus scans, using my Norton Internet Security 2006, also scanned using Ewido, Panda online scanner, Kapersky and so on. All scans weather they were Adware, Spyware or Antivirus have all shown clean. (in Safe Mode and Normal)
I have updated ALL drivers, Video, Mouse, Audio, Bios, Chipset.
I have Defragged the Hard Drives
I have used run Registry Fix Tools and fixed any registry keys needed
I have even gone through every Service that’s loaded and one by one, stopped them to see if one of the services was causing an issue.
I have checked the task manager and used process explorer to see anything running that shouldn’t be. The memory usage and PF usage are fine. (About 400 PF usage out of 2 GB of Ram) after full boot up.

Finally I have also Formatted the C Drive and still…the problem came back about a week after the format.

I’ve monitored the CPU and system temperature. CPU runs around 26C-29C and the System around 34C
I have Run Memory Testing tools with no errors reported
I have checked the CAS on both Ram sticks. They match.
I have run hard Drive sector checking tools with no bad sectors reported
I have physically taken out each stick of ram (there’s 2 of them) and used only one for a given time, then swapped them, and still the problem happened with both sticks of ram.
I’ve tried changing the voltage for the Ram of various variables with no luck.
I have tried changing out Mice and still the same problem happens, so it doesn’t appear to be related just to the mouse. That’s why the rest of the system lags as well, not just the cursor.

I am at a total loss on what could be going wrong. I done everything that I myself can think of, before posting. Can anyone help at least narrow down more what could be happening? It is possible that I may have left out some troubleshooting I have done because I’m trying to remember Everything I did try…but there could be more but I didn’t remember to post it. I’m really self conscience about my system and I don’t treat it poorly, I keep my security software up to date, I am careful with the hardware.

Help? :whistling:

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01 – creepysound – [Logitech MX500 Mouse Lagging Issue]
2nd May 2006

You can first notice the lag at the windows welcome screen, before your even logged Into Windows. The mouse cursor will skip around the screen. I’m using a Logitech MX500

(1) Looks as if this device is PS/2 & USB Compatible – which port are you using? Try using PS/2 if using USB – PS/2 Port has dedicated IRQ-12 System resource – may eliminate possible conflict [??]
(2) Have you tried using – Safe Mode – Does Lagging occur in – Safe Mode [??]
(3) Maybe reduce – Over-clocking – to see if this eliminates erratic behavior
(4) Check IRQ usage for conflicts/sharing – Video – Audio – Pointing Device
(5) When Mouse is lagging – What does – Task Manager – report on – CPU Usage
(6) Verify that you have proper Driver installed – when lagging starts – Microsoft likes to update Logitech’s device drivers – for some reason [??] Usually because of recent – Windows Update -

Reference Links -

Logitech MX500- http://www.logitech....19&languageid=1

http://www.logitech....d=4998,detail=2

Problems
http://logitech-en-a...li=&p_topview=1

Jack123

creepysound

creepysound

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hello Jack123 and thanks for your reply :blink:

1. I was using the mouse using the USB Port. I have now switched over to PS/2 port and will run it like this for a while to see if the problem happens. By asking what kind of port i was using..you also reminded me somthing. While i have used this mouse for my other computers i have had...i always used a KVM Switch before, which used a PS/2 connection. This is the first time i used the mouse with my computer using USB...interesting.

2. I have tried Safe Mode. Because the problem can be VERY Random, its hard to say if it would happen while in Safe Mode. I ran in Safe mode for about a hour and i can honestly say during that time i did not have the problem.

3. My System is not over clocked. Ram and Processor and Video card are all at default levels that they came with.

4. I checked for IRQ conflicts and none seem to be occuring.

5. When the mouse lags, CPU Usage doesnt jump any higher. it sticks around 10% or maybe less when nothing else is really running. That was one of the first things i checked...i figured the CPU was being over worked by somthing..but i guess not. I dont understand Why the Entire System Lags out though. I just first notice it from the Cursor ......but its Everything. Can a mouse problem cause the entire system to lag? including Games and music files?

6. I do have all the latest Logitech mouseware Drivers, (9.79) and ofcourse have tried re installing those.

Ill Keep running In PS/2 Port mode and let you know of what happens. I wanted to reply so you didnt think i was ignoring you. But it May take a few days before the problem even happens again.

Thanks again Jack! :whistling:

creepysound

creepysound

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Ok. Tonight the problem with the lag happend again. Even with the Mouse on the PS/2 Port.

I also booted into safe mode after it started happening and guess what? Its happening in Safe Mode too :whistling:

This is why i am so puzzeled, and i'm not really sure that its the Mouse thats the issue. Actually..i dont know what it is at all.

IshmaelVignsten

IshmaelVignsten

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
hmmm something similar happend to me once but it was just addware...try unpluging the net when it happens if it still hangs around you can at least know it's nothing to do with net stuff

creepysound

creepysound

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I have unplugged from the Net during the time of the issue and it still happens. It even happens in Safe Mode at the Login screen. Which tells me, its probably not software related. I also have swaped out Mice now with my Logitech Wifi Notebook mouse and uninstalled the MX500s mouseware software. Problem Still happend.

I contacted MSI and they sent me a Bios Update/patch which i flashed per their instructions and still the problem happend. I am awaiting to hear back from MSI. I am starting to wonder if the Motherboard is going bad. All signs at this point, turn away from Software and instead to Hardware as the culprit. If it was the Processor or Hard drive, there should be more indication of that..such as errors and other odd behavior, but i havent had anything other then the problem i am describing.

I think im going to take another Hard Drive and swap into this system/format it with the new HD etc etc. I dont have another SLI based board to try and swap in unfortuently or i would try that. Then ill run the system with very very very minimal software for a week and see if the problem happens.

Any other ideas i would sure appreciate it. Thank you all again.