Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Flash drive renames network drive and vice versa

• Please log in to reply

timrip

timrip

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
So I've been using my SanDisk Cruzer USB Flash Drive for about 5 monthes now without fail. Just recently, however, it has decided to start renaming some of my network drives. Actually, it is only affecting one drive in particular. What happens is either my flash drive will take the name and directory of my network drive, or if I try to rename one of them, they both are renamed. It doesn't seem to be affecting any of my files, they are all in tact. However, it is pretty annoying to have two directories with the same name. Any ideas whats goin on?

Thanks

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01 – timrip – [Removable Drives change Names]
4th May 2006

Hi – Welcome to – Hardware – Components & Peripherals Forum –

So I've been using my SanDisk Cruzer USB Flash Drive for about 5 monthes now without fail. Just recently, however, it has decided to start renaming some of my network drives

That is annoying –

Generally the drive assignment is up for grabs – But if you are using Windows 2000 or XP you can connect the drive to PC & Turn On – Probably add one drive at a time in the Preferred Assignment order – Then assign drive letter in – Disk Management Folder and then add next drive –

Open Disk Management Folder:

1- Click on Start Button
2- Scroll up to Settings > Click on Control Panel
3- Open Administrative Tools
4- Open Computer Management
5- Expand Storage Folder
6- Open Disk Management Folder
7- Right Click on [Drive in Question] > Open Properties Page
8- Click on General Tab
9- In Disk Label Box – Type – Disk * – where * – = Your assigned Letter Preference
10- Connect the next preferred Drive in order & Turn On & Open Properties Page & assign Preferred Letter
11- Repeat step 10 for each drive -
12- Close Folder when finished

Note – This was written for WIN 2K – WIN XP may vary nomenclature slightly

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 04 May 2006 - 02:01 PM.