Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

C:\windows\system32\config\system error

• Please log in to reply

thoughtparalysis

thoughtparalysis

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I know this is a semi-common problem, and i know what I should do to fix it, but I can't. I've gotten into the recovery console using and XP home edition disk (even though i'm using XP pro. as my OP), but whenever i try to do anything good it just tells me that Access is Denied. Now is this because I'm not using a PRO disk or something? I tried typing in both admin. passwords, but nothing happened...is there a command i should use before I type the password? Any help would be appreciated. I can't start the computer and I need to get some files off of it for work. Just let me know if it's hopeless or not.

Thanks!

Advertisements

Silence4me2

Silence4me2

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm sorry thoughtparalysis that I can't help you. I am having the same problem also. I just wanted to say just in case someone does answer. How do I go about fixing this problem, if I have no Windows XP disk because my OS already came preinstalled on my computer? I only have the 3 restore disks that came with my comp. If I find out anything else I will post up. It turns out many people have this problem.

Did you try this to see if it helped?

http://support.micro....com/kb/307545/

thoughtparalysis

thoughtparalysis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
:whistling: i've tried that, but it just won't let me do anything. whatever i try to do it says access denied

Silence4me2

Silence4me2

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Someone just sent me this...I dunno if it will work cuz this computer doesn't have a floppy drive so I can make the disk.

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=310994

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
are you trying to log on with the password to one of your user accounts that has admin privilages or the TRUE administrator account? xp has a built in account called ADMINISTRATOR....and there are only two ways to log into it...either through RC or by pressing CTRL ALT DEL at startup and logging in as administrator (or if you have the classic logon...you can skip the ctrl alt del jazz)....if you don't remember setting that password (during install and setup of the system) try leaving the password blank