Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Explorer problem

• Please log in to reply

pompanoguy

pompanoguy

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
First, I would like to thank everyone who has tried to help me with my last Windows proble. It took a tech from microsoft 3 hrs, but we got it to work. Now I have another problem - this one is with my windows explorer. I stops responding on certain files. How can I fix this?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi pompanoguy...

Open Control Panel and double click on "Add or Remove Programs". Tick the box at the top to "Show Updates". Scroll down the list and locate Security Update KB908531...Remove it and reboot.

Try to open the applications.

wannabe1

pompanoguy

pompanoguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Hi pompanoguy...

Open Control Panel and double click on "Add or Remove Programs". Tick the box at the top to "Show Updates". Scroll down the list and locate Security Update KB908531...Remove it and reboot.

Try to open the applications.

wannabe1

I tried this, but it did not work. I can open an audio file, but not a video. Weird!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I take it those "certain files" your referred to were video files? Have you installed updated video codecs?

pompanoguy

pompanoguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

I take it those "certain files" your referred to were video files? Have you installed updated video codecs?

The video files ( not [bleep]) LOL play using divx, but not windows media player. I got the problem repaired ( I think)... I removed the i-tunes from the drive.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Thanks for letting us know. :whistling:

(PS...I wasn't implying that you had "naughty" videos...you just didn't mention that the problem was with video files in the first post...you said the problem was with "certain files" :blink: )

wannabe1

pompanoguy

pompanoguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Thanks for letting us know. :whistling:

(PS...I wasn't implying that you had "naughty" videos...you just didn't mention that the problem was with video files in the first post...you said the problem was with "certain files" :blink: )

wannabe1

I tried all you suggested. Now, on media player, I get " internal erroe". My explorer still will not play any video files. I iuse power dvd or divx p;ayer, and these work. I tried to delete ( uninstall ) media player 10, but I get a message - another program is using this, unable to delete. Any more ideas?

lorothrigs

lorothrigs

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Try downloading K-Lite Codec Pack and see if this helps.