Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

slave drive

• Please log in to reply

vlc

vlc

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi I recently did a total format of my c drive and reinstalled win 98 se then installed xp pro and
everything is fine with my master drive© but I cannot open my slave drive(d).I have an error
\device\harddisk1\d has bad block.Can anyone help me?

Thank's

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
A couple of suggestions would be to download the manufacturer's program to test the disk and run it to test for bad blocks, the next best would be to do a surface scan using Windoze's program (scandisk or chkdsk).

Is this two separate disks or is it two different partitions?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
*warriorscot has always thought you spelled windows without a z or an e, who knew.

Do you need the data of the slave drive?

vlc

vlc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
They are separate disks and when I try to use scan disk or defrag nothing happens :whistling:

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

They are separate disks and when I try to use scan disk or defrag nothing happens :whistling:

What do you mean nothing happens? It does not run? Does give that disk as an option?

Who made the disk? Have you checked to see if you can download a program to test the disk out?

Edited by Kemasa, 02 May 2006 - 07:35 PM.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

*warriorscot has always thought you spelled windows without a z or an e, who knew.

Just goes to show that you learn something new every day!!! :-)

vlc

vlc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes when I try to run scan disk or defrag it does not start.The disk is a samsung ultra dma eide 2.1 gb.
It does give that disk as an option and when I try to open it nothing happens.It was the original disk that came with my computer(emachines 333cs) and I installed a western digital 40gb as the master and used that as a slave I went to the emachines web site and the samsung web site but could not find any tool
to check the disk.I tried to uninstall the drive and reinstall it with the same result.

Thank's

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what happens if you do
start > run > cmd > then type

chkdsk <drive letter>: /r /f (where <drive letter> is the letter assigned to that drive in my computer)

vlc

vlc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
the dos window pops up as if it is going to check the disk then it just closes and nothing happens

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you have your xp disk?

vlc

vlc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
yes I have the xp disk

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
boot to the xp disk and choose the R option for recovery console...choose your installation of windows and then enter the admin password (if you don't remember setting one it's probably blank) then type
chkdsk <drive letter>: /r (where <drive letter> is the letter assigned to the bad drive in my computer)

and press enter