Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Connecting to internet normally in UK

• Please log in to reply

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Ok, in Switzerland where I come from it is:
username: sunrise
password: freesurf
tel:0840555555

The above is standard to anyone who wants internet access, the user only pays the normal dailup connection phone bill to Swisscom

Question: what is the UK system with a modem then?

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. You need to contact your internet service provider and find out if they have dial up numbers in your area. Some providers (like AOL) are known for having local dial up numbers you can access if you are a member, from just about anywhere. I have no idea if your provider offers such service. Contact them. If they don't, you need to find an ISP there and set up an account.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Say for example I have just bought a comp with a 56k modem, in the UK what are my options. are they all the same so it doesn't matter who or should one be careful and take advice which is what I am doing here.

Edited by fleamailman, 03 May 2006 - 10:14 AM.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
You need to set up an account with an Internet Service Provider (ISP). I am sure you can find some in your local telephone directory.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Thanks.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Hey Flea,
You need to get yourself an ISP disk to get dial up in the UK, there is lots you can pick them up for free at the supermarket usually, you register an account with them and you get your dial up account and they charge you at whatever rate it is they use.

The way they do it in switzerland seems a good way to have a backup for internet access without all the crap of registering with an ISP we need here, but what you gonna do.

Tesco used to actually have there own dialup service it was rented from BT obviosly but they used to have good rates, freeserve was who i used to be with when i had dial up but that was a long time ago i dont know if they still operate. Easiest way to get internet these days is to hijack your local macdonalds or library wifi.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Thanks scot, great idea but the nearest mac is in Exeter about an hour away.
I will just repeat that though, as I am new to this country, BT does provide the telephone line but not the Internet connection so will I have to go through a third party and those third parties are more or less the same. They are not as simply as the Swiss way in that I will have to use a disk which makes an ISP account.

Ok last question, any recommendations or any to be avoided?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
AOL definitely to be avoided.

BT can supply you with an internet connection but through a different arm of the company, though there are at least 100 providers to try and many websites that feature user opinions of various providers.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Thanks for the advice, I am looking for something really simple and unbloated.