Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

All Internet Browser Problem

• Please log in to reply

JTingly

JTingly

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
hi all,
im kinda noobish and i dunno if theres rules to posting. so if i need to post a specific and right way, be sure to tell me!

well heres my problem, when i use firefox, or maxthon to go on myspace profiles. a drwtsn32.exe aka Dr. Watson alert pops up. i did my research and it is disabled, but that didnt seem to fix it. after the watson alert, this pops up:

The Instruction at "0x7c918fea" referenced
memory at "0x00000010".The memory could not be "written".
Click on OK to terminate the program.
Click on Cancel to debug program.

it seemed to only happen on myspace profiles but it started to grow, such as i went on the fox main website
fox.com and the error happened again, and my browser automatically exited.

if theres already an answer to this problem i apologize and ask if you can direct me to that thread, but if theres not please help me! :whistling:

:blink:
Thanks,
Clueless

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
I've had this happen to me and it seems to be caused by a badly written piece of software trying to access a portion of memory that it's not supposed to. As I recall, in my case it only happened whenever I had Adobe Illustrator installed. Since I uninstalled it (using CorelDraw instead now) it no longer happens. That's why I'm sure Illustrator was the culprit.

Of course, in your case it will probably be a different application to blame, it's just a case of finding it. I put up with it until it was time to perform a full re-install of Windows, after which I carefully monitored for any error messages with each new application that was installed. Adobe Illustrator was the baddy!

No doubt these troublesome programs work fine on many systems, but as we all know, no two PCs are the same, that's why what works fine on one PC can cause problems on another.

Edited by pip22, 03 May 2006 - 07:36 AM.

JTingly

JTingly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
so your saying i should be looking for a program that shouldnt belong to my comp?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I wouldn't say "shouldn't belong". I would say "is not entirely compatable"

Though, this may be more beneficial than looking for a needle in a haystack:

A number of XP users have reported situations with Internet Explorer 6 becoming corrupted and reporting a number of different errors. While there is certainly no guarantee, the two procedures listed below have restored functionality to IE6 for many users experiencing problems.

Note: Both methods listed require that the Microsoft Windows XP CD-ROM be available.

Method 1: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP

From the Start menu, select Run.
In the Open field, type sfc /scannow (Note: There is a space between sfc and /scannow)
Select the OK button.
Follow the prompts throughout the System File Checker process.
Reboot the computer when System File Checker completes.

Method 2: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP

From the Start menu, select Search, select All Files and Folders.
Select More Advanced Options and place a checkmark beside Search Hidden Files and Folders option.
Ensure that Search System Folders and Search Subfolders are also checked.
In the All or Part of the File Name box, type ie.inf
In the Look In drop-down menu, select C: or the letter of the hard drive that contains the Windows folder.
Click the Search button.
In the search results pane, find the ie.inf file located in Windows\Inf folder.
Right click the ie.inf file and click Install on the context menu.
Reboot the computer when the file copy process is complete.

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 318378 How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP

JTingly

JTingly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
ah i'll try that.. as for the cd..i think i have it, but i thought when i bought the computer, it came with xp..should it still have a cd?

im kinda noob..im kinda young

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
That actually depends. Some manufacturers will give you an XP CD that has those functions, others will give you a restore CD that is different from an XP CD and is designed specifically for your computer.

Either way, it can't hurt to see if the CD will work. Just don't accidentally format and reinstall windows :blink: Follow my instructions and you'll be fine. :whistling:

If you have any problems, or it doesn't work, let me know.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 03 May 2006 - 06:55 PM.

JTingly

JTingly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
aite thnx, i'll be rite on it

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
What I think is most interesting in this is that you said it happens with maxthon or firefox.

Normally, I find this issue results from poorly written Browswer Helper Objects--the fact that it happens in an IE-based driver and a gecko-based browser kind of makes that notion irrelevent.

Memory problem, perhaps?

Have you ever run memtest on this machine?

http://www.memtest.org/

JTingly

JTingly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
well it happens with IE as well, but im gonna run the mem test rite now

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
maxthon is IE---it uses the IE engine,,,think of it as IE with a pretty face

JTingly

JTingly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
ohhhh haha
i wasnt able to run it..it was complicated, i had to browse sumthing, but it couldnt find it

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
do yuo have a floppy drive?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
scrap that, use the CD version

Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)

http://www.memtest.org/

You need to burn this image to a CD and boot your computer with it--this is different than burning a file to a CD. If you do not know how to burn an ISO image, then download the following program to another Windows XP machine, install it.

make certain you download the proper installation for your version of windows

http://isorecorder.a...isorecorder.htm

After installation, right click the RC.iso file you downloaded above and choose COPY IMAGE TO CD.

Then reboot your broken PC with that CD in the CD-ROM drive.

Insert in non-functioning PC, set the PC to boot to the cd-rom first in the boot order section of bios (get there by pressing f1,f2, or del depending on machine while memory is counting up)

When boot begins, memtest will run

JTingly

JTingly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
i dun have a floppy, but now im tryin the way u showed me

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts