Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

having a lag problem with cpu

• Please log in to reply

EvOman08

EvOman08

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
hey guys when im playing video games that require internet such as world of warcraft and counterstrike i am getting lag spikes for no apparent reason ill have a really good connection then goes to crap and then back again. I have already searched for spyware and viruses and found nothing someone told me it could be a backdoor trojan but i dont know how to check for that or how to get rid of it either

Advertisements

EvOman08

EvOman08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
can anyone help please i need it asap

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go!

Does Task Manager report a CPU spike when this lag occurs?

Answer that question and then do the following:

Download and run hijackthis Do a scan and then save a log. Take the log and ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post.

We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 02 May 2006 - 08:29 PM.

EvOman08

EvOman08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Yes my pc does report a cpu spike

here is my hijackthis log.

Attached Files

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Did you do this log in Safe Mode? I find it odd that it is so short, and I don't see any anti-virus programs. If you did do the scan and save the log from Safe Mode, do it again in normal mode.

Moving on, CPU spike issues have been rather common lately. But they appear to have many different causes/solutions. So if you are willing to bear with me, I'm willing to go through the steps of troubleshooting to accurately and effectively solve your problem :whistling:

Let's start with the most likely problem/solution:

#1 corrupt or full index.dat file.

To solve this problem, we will use CCleaner. Even if this is not your issue, it cannot harm your computer and will be beneficial.

Download CCleaner from http://www.snapfiles...t/ccleaner.html
  • Install it. Then start the program.
  • In the area designated as "Cleaner Settings", Make sure the Windows tab is the selected tab.
  • Under the category of "Internet Explorer", UNcheck all boxes except for the first two boxes (Temporary Internet Files and Cookies) and the box called Delete Index.dat files.
  • UNcheck the box next to the category called "Windows Explorer."
  • Under the category of "System", UNcheck Empty Recycle Bin.
  • At the top, click on the tab that says Applications.
  • UNcheck EVERYTHING! If there is a category called "Firefox", then leave the Cookies option checked.
  • Now click on Analyze. When it is done analyzing (it could take several minutes since this is your first time using ccleaner), click on Run Cleaner.
After it is done deleting the junk files, including index.dat, restart your computer. After it has restarted, see if the problem still occurs.

If CCleaner did not solve your problem, let's clean even more with Tune-up:

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Click on Clean up & Repair. Run TuneUp DiskCleaner. Delete all junk files. Afterwords, return to the Main Screen.

Click on Clean up & Repair. Run TuneUp RegistryCleaner. Fix all errors. Afterwords, return to the Main Screen.

Click on Optimize & Improve. Run TuneUp RegistryDefrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot.

After the reboot, start Tune Up again. Click on Optimize & Improve then click on TuneUp System Optimizer. Now click on Accelerate downloads and Internet surfing to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, start Tune Up again. Click on Optimize & Improve then click on TuneUp System Optimizer. In the menu to the left called "Wizards", choose System Advisor. Note some of the advice it tells you.

Let me know how it goes.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 02 May 2006 - 10:55 PM.

EvOman08

EvOman08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
i didnt do the log in safe mode the reason there wasnt much running was because my friend closed all the programs to see if maybe that was the cause of lag but i still had the problem even with all the programs he had closed. Im going to try the stuff you just told me to do but could this also be a isp problem?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I seriously doubt it is an ISP problem, since you are getting CPU spikes. Especially when all your programs are turned off.

Like I said, CPU spike problems have been common lately, but they are not normal at all. They are fixable, it's just a matter of pin-pointing the cause.

After you do my cleaning suggestions, if the problem persists, do another HijackThis scan, except this time do it after a fresh reboot. That way I can see ALL of the programs that are running on your computer.

EvOman08

EvOman08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
alright i did all you told me too and im still having the lag problem when playing video games, sometimes i even get disconnected. I made a new hijackthis log after a fresh reboot after everything here it is

Attached Files

EvOman08

EvOman08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
i also just noticed something that when i was playing and all of a sudden the lag hit it stayed for awhile so i alt+tabbed out and at the time i was running the tuneUp memoptimizer from the program u told me to d/l earlier and it was completly drained of memory so im sure that says something, i jsut dont know what

EvOman08

EvOman08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
um are you still there or anybody to help me?

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
This may come as a bit of a shock to you, but we are all volunteers and as such, we like to take a bit of a break now and then to take care of our responsibilities.

Please be patient, I will not abandon you.

i also just noticed something that when i was playing and all of a sudden the lag hit it stayed for awhile so i alt+tabbed out and at the time i was running the tuneUp memoptimizer from the program u told me to d/l earlier and it was completly drained of memory so im sure that says something, i jsut dont know what

It sounds like you do not have a sufficient amount of RAM in your computer. I guess that explains the overclocking program I saw in your HJT log.

In order to get an overview of the specs of your computer, I want you to use WinAudit to scan your computer and automatically record the specs for me:

Download WinAudit. Start it, and then click on Options at the top. At the bottom, click None and then check only the box that says System Overview and then click Apply. Then, click on the button that says Here. It will record information about your system.

Save the audit to your desktop. This will save three files. Take all three files and put them into a single zip (compressed) folder. Name the folder WinAudit. Post it in your reply to me.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 03 May 2006 - 03:14 PM.

EvOman08

EvOman08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
my apologies im just very frustrated as to why my computer does not work so i am sorry. I used winaudit and here is my log for it.

Edited by EvOman08, 03 May 2006 - 05:50 PM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
You forgot to set up WinAudit so that it only gives an overview, rather than a detailed report on your computer. While this was actually a bit helpful for my troubleshooting, it does display too much information about your computer. This can be a security risk. Please edit out the WinAudit attachment from your previous post, since I have downloaded what I needed.

In WinAudit, I saw you have 2 anti-virus programs and Zone Alarm + the Windows firewall. I suspect there is conflicting going on. Odds are there's more to it than that, but we'll see...

Remove either AVG or PC Tools AntiVirus 2.0
Disable the Windows Firewall via Security Center in your Control Panel

See if the lagging still occurs. If it does, do the following:

Download Process Explorer from Sysinternals
http://www.sysintern...ssexplorer.html

Extract and run it. Go to VIEW > SHOW Fractional CPU usage
Make sure it is checked.

Look in the CPU column and relate what is consuming your CPU

If you can, a screencapture would be useful. (make sure you take the screenshot when the high CPU usage is occuring.)

EvOman08

EvOman08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
hmmm i already uninstalled zone alarm so why would it still be showing up did i miss something?

EvOman08

EvOman08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
alright i ran the process explorer and occasionaly i am gettin hardware interrupts and deferred procedure calls when the games are not running. System is also using about .78 to 1.56 of cpu