Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Freezing

• Please log in to reply

Darkknight

Darkknight

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
My Computer keeps on freezing. This is a recent problem and i have not had this problem before. It freezes up out of nowhere but about 80% of the time i can replicate it by disk clean up. It wont let me Disk cleanup. Can someone help me i would be really greatful. Just tell me what to do. Thanks .

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Darkknight

Darkknight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Whats up man thanks for taking my problem. Heres the thing I Did the Prefetch step and all was fine. The defragment went smoothly but as soon as i Selected the items to be disk cleaned and pressed ok it froze up on me again so i was unable to continue the Process. I will attempt again. Once again thanks for taking my problem.

Edited by Darkknight, 04 May 2006 - 06:59 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Move to chkdsk /f /r then go back to disc clean up

Darkknight

Darkknight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Do I Skip the sfc /scannow too. If not i have a question. I have an emachine computer and it came with a sytem restore disk. Will this do for the windows xp disk or do i have to get one.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Skip sfc and run chkdsk /f /r

You would need to check with e-machines to see what their recovery disc is capable of

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
You can clean your disk through you internet options as well............ Go to your Control Panel.............Click on Internet Options.................DELETE COOKIES...............DELETE FILES.........CHECK MARK ON ALL OFF LINE...............Click apply ............Then ok...............then try your disk clean-up

Darkknight

Darkknight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
"After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot"

Do you mean the Tune up System optimizer.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
YOU CAN ACCESS INTERNET OPTIONS ON YOUR TOOLS AT THE TOP OF YOUR PAGE

internet options as well............ Click on Internet Options.................DELETE COOKIES...............DELETE FILES.........CHECK MARK ON ALL OFF LINE...............Click apply ............Then ok...............then try your disk clean-up

Darkknight

Darkknight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Whats up rushin1nd i tried that to and as soon as I disk cleaned it froze and I had to Reboot and that reboot it froze on start-up and i had to reboot again. Thanks for the help any help i can get helps.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It's Tune Up system optimizer

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
CleanUp! - Download - Home Page
NOTE: Do NOT run this program if you have XP Professional 64 bit edition. If you're unsure please do not run it!

give this a try my last hope of helping. kieths optimizer sounds good.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
http://www.stevengou...p/download.html

sorry meant this one

Darkknight

Darkknight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
What's up guys,
I did what both you guys said I followed each of you guys rules and i disk cleaned for the first time without it freezing up on me I'm not quite sure which program did it but the tag team between both of you i really appreciate. So thank you to Keith and rushin1nd for working together to help me. I hope my computer doesn't act up again. But if it does I'll know where to come. Once again thanks to both of you.

sincerely,
Julian

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
http://www.safer-net...load/index.html

run this one it will help