Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Software for Your Computer

• Please log in to reply

JTingly

JTingly

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
didnt see many threads about software/program talk, if there is delete this and show me wher eit is :blink:
but this is the place for polls and recommenadtions and answers to questions.

well lets start off with my question, what are some programs you guys use to help speed up your computer, and give it more years of life to it? (Whether its free or u have to pay, what do you recommend)

-----
my programs
Anti-Virus: NOD32
Firewall: ZoneAlarm PRO
Spyware Thing: Spy Sweeper, Ad-Aware SE PRO
Registry: Registry Mechanic

Other: WinTools.net (dunno what it really does, but it cleans out alotta crap) :whistling:

Advertisements

Burton1

Burton1

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Anti-Virus: Norton (hey it came with the computer :/)

Firewall: Norton (^^)

Anti-Spyware: Ad-Aware, Spybot SD, ATF Cleaner, HijackThis, Spyware Blaster

Registry protectors: Tea Timer, WinPatrol. [scotty :whistling:]

JTingly

JTingly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
eh..i always thought spybot was just a waste of space.. it never picks up anything unless its malware

Edited by JTingly, 03 May 2006 - 01:33 PM.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
JTingly- What exactly do you think Spybot is supposed to do?

Johanna

memberix

memberix

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
my programs
Anti-Virus: NOD32
Spyware: Spy Sweeper, Spyware Doctor, Ad-Aware SE, Spybot
Registry: Registry Mechanic,
Tweak&Optimize: TuneUp Utilities, jv16 PowerTools
Download Manager: Internet Download Manager
Internet Connection Optimization: Throttle
Browser:Mozilla Firefox
Disk Defragmenter: O&O Defrag

By my opinion this are the best tool for the job. With these you will have reliable and fast PC and Internet connection. For Spyware get either Spy sweeper or Spyware Doctor. Spy sweeper is faster while spyware doctor is painfully slow while scanning but it has better detections. for tweeks and optimizations get Tune up if you want simple interface and JV16 Power Tools if you are more experienced Pc user. For the other categories there are no better options.

Edited by memberix, 03 May 2006 - 07:09 PM.

JTingly

JTingly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
"Internet Connection Optimization: Throttle"

what do they actually do? make internet go faster?

and for Johanna, my view on spybot is that.. its kinda a cheap thing..its like 2 min scans, and it just looks specifically for some spyware (correct me if im wrong) i dunno why ppl think spybot is so good

memberix

memberix

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Kind of. It changes setting in windows registry to best suit you internet connection making you connection faster and more stable. you just select you connection type an click a button and thats it. one time use but you can try it for free only the best setting will be locked but if you see improvement in you internet connection buy it. www.pgware.com/products/throttle/
I ve tried many program but this is the best.

JTingly

JTingly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
i see,
do you use any defraggment programs? i heard they REALLY boost your comp speed..i use defraggment programs, but they dont really make a difference

unless i have the right program :whistling: and thats what im here for

memberix

memberix

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
O&O Defrag is the best for that job. Jusat try it and you'll see big diference in you hard disks speed.
http://www.oo-software.com/

Edited by memberix, 03 May 2006 - 07:10 PM.

JTingly

JTingly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
what about perfectdisk 6.0, that got ggoooood ratings on pcworld

Perfectdisk vs. O&O

Pros,Cons?

Edited by JTingly, 03 May 2006 - 08:10 PM.

Advertisements

memberix

memberix

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Well i've used both of them but only with O&O Defrag I noticed real improved in performance and it faster then perfectdisk

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Best defragger ive used is diskeeper wins hands down best ive used. Again what do you think spybot and other anti crapware scanners actually do, the reason spybot is so fast is it isnt a heuristic scanner it just scans the system for known crapware and gets rid of it, it also helps prevent infection in the first place, its a good app to have big question is why wouldnt you use it.

I only use tune up 2006 for my optimisation and general cleaning, why use alot of little ok apps when you can use one fantastic one, great prog to have.

AV i use avast as its the best free av ive used and the only thing ive used that ive found better was nod and it wasnt that much better to be worth the cash, that and it doesnt have an LCARS skin for NOD so Avast is my fav.

Only two apps i put on all my pcs, firefox and winamp all the time on any pc im gonna use for a while and usually the Klite mega pack with MPC for backup if there is a system without it.

JTingly

JTingly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
ah i see thank you for your recommenadtions..lol love the word "Crapware"

but do you think our antispyware progs, and virus and all the other progs, good? like will my comp be secured from my progs?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
*warriorscot also enjoys using the phrase "crapware", also has other phrases he cant use on this forum.

If youve got Nod32 your pretty much as safe as your gonna get from the malware side of things.

JTingly

JTingly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
ah the problem now is shall i go with a person and better ratings for O&O Defrag
or should i go with the "hardware warrrior" one of the geeks themselves for diskeeper..hmmm decisions decisions

Edited by JTingly, 05 May 2006 - 09:16 PM.