Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Software for Your Computer

• Please log in to reply

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Disk keeper has a trial i think, so i would try it and see if you like it, it has alot of nifty features and some of the other "geeks" like it as well. But defraging as long as its done often doesnt hugely affect the computer going from software to software.

The reason i like diskkeeper is because it has a great range of options and can defrag and reorganise the files for maximum performance, so it moves the files you use the most to the faster parts of the disk which i like and windows and some othes dont, also has intelligent defragmentation which is a nice feature.

Advertisements

JTingly

JTingly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
ah i see, i'll start with diskeeper, if theers no difference i'll move on to o and o : )
thanks..so any other good progs recommended to maintain your comp/speed it up ( u know just tryin to start a discussion)

by the way memberxix
for throttle, do i need to like "run" it, every now and then? or is it a one time deal

Edited by JTingly, 06 May 2006 - 05:27 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Think its a one time deal, best app for tuning and maintenace you can get i think it tune up 2006 its the best ive ever used and it does pretty much everything.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
For grins and giggles, I ran ran Spybot last night. It checked for almost 40,000 known "problems" in its database.

I'm not crazy about 3rd party software to defrag XP. The XP defrag is based on Diskkeeper's technology, but when you use other software to defrag, XP gets cranky, trying to rearrange files to where XP thinks they should be.

For "speeding up the computer" in general, make sure it's free of malware, and that your hardware is sufficient to run the software you use. To use a car analogy- even if you use premium gas and change the oil often, a Chevy Chevette is still a Chevette, and will not ever resemble a Porsche.

For quick tips to optimize what you do have, try PCPitstop's free scan.
http://www.pcpitstop.com/

Johanna

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yes but your chevy will last alot longer and run cleaner than the the chevy round the corner that hasnt had its oil changed since it was bought.

You cant make it in to a porsche(well not with that kind of software) but you can make it purr nice and smoothly, a bit of maintanence can make a huge difference.

The Xp defrag is just a bit to outdated it comes from the darkages it defragments files but it does it without regard of the location on disk as long as its in one place its happy, other programs like disk keeper rearange the files that are used most into the faster area of the hard disk to give you better performance it can make a fair difference over XPs defrag especially if you use heavily HD intensive apps, as long as you dont use XPs defrag while you use a third party one you dont get alot of conflicts but ive never had any. I didnt like the 3rd party apps but diskkeeper 10 really changed my mind.

JTingly

JTingly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
ok nice metaphors and all :whistling:, but lets get back to the subject

for throttle, i read that it hardly shows any effect on comptuers..something about QoS

well here was the post about it from this other forum,

This only works if you have QoS enabled, and it will not increase your netbandwith, it increases the bandwith between your modem and your machine. I dont see how exactly you would be using 100% of that bandwith that you would need extra.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Your modem/computer can only receive and transmit info to the limits of its own hardware and the ISP's restrictions. Some ISPs have caps on bandwidth, some do not. Most users will never notice. If you are gaming and trying to get a faster connection, assess your hardware and evaluate your ISP's capabilities.

Johanna

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
The trouble with a robust security is that one feels safe forgetting that a harddrive can die without reason, I suppose I am just saying that one should take the advice given by members here but never forget to make backups because of the reason I have mentioned.

I am afraid we enter murky waters from now because we do not know what future malware will arrise though we do know that ms will be wanting us to move on to vista when it comes out.

JTingly

JTingly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
hmm maybe i'll give it another couple days, because i dont seee much of a difference..

im gonna build a computer anyway, maybe it'll work on that

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Okay some random stuff, found this nice little app for XP small memory usage and very nice little feature. http://www.visualtasktips.com/

Edited by warriorscot, 15 May 2006 - 08:13 AM.

Advertisements