Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Update Site Problem

• Please log in to reply

midgo

midgo

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I have a problem with the windows update site.

I have tried all I can think of to fix this.

When I access the update site and press either the express or custom buttons to check for updates the progress bars start but never stop.

I can access the Microsoft downloads site and download from there fine.

The update site just freezes on the progress bars moving.

Any help appreciated. :whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you let it run for 10 minutes, with nothing else running?

midgo

midgo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Have you let it run for 10 minutes, with nothing else running?

Thanks for the reply mate.

And yes it has been running for ages.

Any reason why you ask about the time:)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It can take ages to start, depending on their server

Click start then run, type services.msc and press enter, check automatic updates is set to automatic and started, also background intelligent transfer

If you change anything, click apply on each tab and reboot

midgo

midgo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

It can take ages to start, depending on their server

Click start then run, type services.msc and press enter, check automatic updates is set to automatic and started, also background intelligent transfer

If you change anything, click apply on each tab and reboot

Have done all these previously and they are all activated.

It only started happening recently last 2-3 days and I don't know why.

Can't recall doing anything unusual to cause it.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

midgo

midgo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Tried all these suggestions but still no good.

Thanks for your efforts and any others ideas would be appreciated.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to boot the PC and keep tapping the delete key until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need the XP product key to complete this

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

XP Repair Install

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

midgo

midgo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to boot the PC and keep tapping the delete key until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need the XP product key to complete this

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

XP Repair Install

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

Had to do the windows repair as this was the only thing that fixed this issue.

All is ok now:)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know

midgo

midgo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Had to do the windows repair as this was the only thing that fixed this issue.

All is ok now:)

It was ok for 1 day:(

Now it's back to the original problem.

I am really stumped now. :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Start the System Restore tool at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a Command Prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.micro....com/kb/315222/

A description of the Safe mode boot options in Windows XP

midgo

midgo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

It was ok for 1 day:(

Now it's back to the original problem.

I am really stumped now. :blink:

I have since resolved this issue yet again by renaming the Software Distribution Folder in the Windows Directory to Software Distribution Folder.old then going to Start - Run typing in regsvr32 wuaueng.dll and click OK

Rebooting to complete.

This enabled me to restart the update process from the begining and it completed satisfactorily.

I still have not been able to work out why it stuffed up to begin with:( :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for posting the solution