Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win XP Home OEM Install

• Please log in to reply

cyberdyne

cyberdyne

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Hi,
I've purchased the above under the impression (wrongly) that I would be able to upgrade my o/s; Win98SE.
Upon the first install atempt, I have seen that the only install avilable to me is a full install.
Is there a way of upgrading using my newly purchased WinXP Home OEM disc without losing all my documents / programs / email (outlook express), etc.

Thanks for any advice.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Hi,
I've purchased the above under the impression (wrongly) that I would be able to upgrade my o/s; Win98SE.
Upon the first install atempt, I have seen that the only install avilable to me is a full install.

have you tried running the upgrade cd from within windows? sometimes that will work when you can't get the upgrade option by booting to the disk

Is there a way of upgrading using my newly purchased WinXP Home OEM disc without losing all my documents / programs / email (outlook express), etc.

not really...you could in theory install me on the disk then delete the 98 version of the windows directory then fix your boot.ini file..but that's way to messy to concider as practical

cyberdyne

cyberdyne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Well, its not actually an upgrade version. Its a full install OEM version of XP Home with SP2.
The problem is, its trying to delete my partition before the install and I want to preserve my O.E. address book / mail and MyDocuments. Basically, I only wanted to upgrade, but it seems I can't.
Presumably the only way forward is to save what I want and let it go ahead and wipe the disc?

Thank you

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
indeed....backup all your important data to an external media (cds or an external drive) then format and install

cyberdyne

cyberdyne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Ok, as I thought, thank you.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Well, its not actually an upgrade version. Its a full install OEM version of XP Home with SP2.

OEM Windows will not let you upgrade. It will insist on wiping the disk. This is a feature of OEM Windows which is designed to go on systems without an operating system installed, hence no upgrade route.

The upgrade edition does just that, but as it also carries over any problems that were evident in the original Windows, it's usually far easier just to wipe it anyway.