Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows ME keeps locking up

• Please log in to reply

richie00

richie00

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi, I have a problem with ME locking up when not in use and turned on. I removed trojan "ibm00001" which was causing alot of problems for a friend. I also unticked a lot of startup programs in msconfig and now ME keeps locking up?. Is there a way of removing the entries he doesn't need in startup? I am getting the PC back later, and am going to enable programs in start up one at a time hoping this will resolve the problem. If things don't work out can anybody shed some light on this for me? It's been a long time since I used ME, them were the days I remember them well.
Thanks

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Sometimes there is a conflict between the bios and windows when you have power saving setting active in both. I usually turn off any power saving setting in windows and let the bios turn the monitor to standby when i'm not using the computer.

I usually also use msconfig to set programs i don't want runing all the time. If i'm not using a program very much i will uninstall it from the system. Lean and clean is the way to keep the puter fast and without many problems.

SRX660

richie00

richie00

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Well that didn't work. I tried msconfig in selective mode with all the start up programs disabled and then enabled them one at a time every time it locked up. I also checked the power saving options they were turned off already. I tried installing hijackthis to get a report it wouldn't let me??? so I ran adaware and search and destroy removed more spyware and tried installing hijackthis it still won'tlet me. Any suggestions?

richie00

richie00

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
OK, after wrecking my head trying to figure out what was causing the lockup, I decided to restore my registry backup, it seems to have resolved the issue. I had made a couple of changes to the registry on recommendation to clear "ibm0000" from the system I was also having problems with IE and made recommended changes in registry aswell. I am sure this is what was causing the problems well 90% sure.

Thanks