Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ or Athlon 64 3700+?

• Please log in to reply

Anton1382

Anton1382

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
Do you think my sytem could handle DX10? Should I upgrade something? I need input! :whistling:

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Do you think my sytem could handle DX10? Should I upgrade something? I need input! :whistling:

No your pretty much screwed, Dx10 wont work on the current video cards...

For dx10 you will need a direct x10 video card, and the new soon to be OS which is Vista..

So you spent no telling how much for that dell system with quad sli video cards...

Your system is not bad at all by the way, just saying that newer technology is coming out very soon and you wont be able to have dx10 unless you get new video cards and the newer OS... Vista has been pushed back again though so I wouldnt sweat it, your system is powerful..

Wish you would have came here on geekstogo first, We could of saved you alot of money by persuading you into getting a custom pc which would be quite abit cheaper...

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
As I said X2 3800+ in the long run, short run 3700+.

But for cheapness, did anyone see the Tom's Hardware overclocking Pentium D 805 article?

They got it up to 3.6 GHz without changing voltages, without problems. With changing voltages, 3.8 trouble freee. Then, they added water cooling and got it up to 4.1 GHz trouble free. The thing comes at a stock 2.66 GHz for $130 US. Looking VERY attractive to an overclocker.