Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I get wireless G 80 meters away?

• Please log in to reply

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Hi, I was wondering could i get a good enough signal to play games with quite a low ping under 100 with this dish?

Hi-Gain ™ USB Wireless-G Dish Adapter

Thanks,

Kurt

Advertisements

wsavoy

wsavoy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
it depends on what type of material you may be shooting the signal thru. for example if its outside and not line of sight then NO.
indoors if its thru many wall then NO
I have a trendnet 14dbi gain antenna shooting 1,500 ft with no issues
but its line of sight with no obstacles

rumble291

rumble291

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
well you just said that your shooting 1,500 feet with that antenna so surely at around 80 meters outside through 2 wood walls it should be fine?? anyone else have any answers?

much appriecated,

Kurt

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
as savoy said...wireless is line of site (especially when you put a dish antenna on it...which is the main selling point of the device you linked to)...so assuming you can point the contraption DIRECTLY at the access point and there's not an excessive amount of obstructions (walls, buildings, lead sheets, safes)...then you would PROBABLY be able to make your connection more reliable...we of course cannot say "YES that will deffinitely work and all your problems in life will be solved"...i say see what their return policy is...or ask if you could have an evaluation period for the device or something like that

rumble291

rumble291

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Ok, thanks for that. I think I will probs get a Canttena and a good wireless card.

Kurt

rumble291

rumble291

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
yeah its in line of sight but 2 windows seprate it will this be a problem? and what actually affects wireless?

Thanks,

Kurt