Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Everything is wrong!

• Please log in to reply

Sgt. McCoy

Sgt. McCoy

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Yesterday i was on net and downloading something (i forgot what) and when it finnished downloading my Norman antivirus came up with warning (like ussually when i'm downloading from untrustable sites :blink: ) that it detected trojan and it was successfully removed, i pressed ok and after that same warning came up and another an another...like a 50 times, and after that it was ok. Few seconds later my firewall become disabled, and computer noticed me that antivirus program is not detected on computer anymore. And i couldn't enabled firewall and antivirus again. Few moments later most of programs haven't been able to load and also when i try to start some games, just black screen appeared (like allways when it's being loaded) but then it jumped back to desktop. If i tryed to uninstall any of program i wasn't able to, it allways came up with some strange error or just nothing happened at all, i couldn't reinstall also (same errors appeared). And next thing i noticed was, that i couldn't move or copy/paste any of folders and files and it was same thing on desktop. Only that i could do was to remove them. Then i realised that when i go to Internet Explorer everything (all links) loads very slow or most of times don't even load. Even www.google.com which ussualy loads in 0.1 seconds, now needs 10 times longer!! And my ATI Catalyst Control Center (driver for games :help: ) shows an error that i do not have permission to do anything with it and didn't even load... I don't remember anything else to be wrong right now. :)

Today i scanned computer with Norman antivirus and it detected 7 infected files and it successfully removed or move to quarantene, but computer is stil like it was yesterday. :whistling:

So what can i do to fix that "huge" problem?

Thanks for help!

note: I apologise for any misstypings or english incorrect words or sentances, cause i'm stil learning english :)

Edited by Sgt. McCoy, 03 May 2006 - 12:21 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Sgt. McCoy...

Let's let the malware experts deal with this one.

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions there.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Do Not reply to or "bump" your own topic...if it shows a reply, it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

PS...I think you are doing very well with your English! :whistling:

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 03 May 2006 - 12:29 PM.

Sgt. McCoy

Sgt. McCoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
well...the problem is that links dont't work, so i can't click on Malware Forum, or any other links cause it just don't want to open, well nothing happened at all... please write me down a fully link..or whatever...the whole name of link and i can copy it and paste it in Adress window.

Edited by Sgt. McCoy, 03 May 2006 - 12:33 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Can you use the address bar in the browser? If so, type http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/You-Must-Read-This-Before-Posting-A-Hijackthis-Log-t2852.html into the box and press [Enter].

Sgt. McCoy

Sgt. McCoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Sorry for that stupid question but i didn't quiet understand the line you said: "post a hijackthis log in THAT forum"...that means in that forum we are talking in right now or in Malware Forum? sry :whistling:

Edited by Sgt. McCoy, 03 May 2006 - 12:39 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
In the Malware Forum. One of the experts there will help you clean the bad stuff out and then, if you are still having problems, you can come back here and we'll help you get the machine running right again.

Sgt. McCoy

Sgt. McCoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thanks...I'm heading there now...

Sgt. McCoy

Sgt. McCoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Another problem!!

I have problems at Step One: Scan for Spyware/Adware

when i start scanning and when it gets to scan in C:\System Volume Information\...
my Norman antivirus detect some trojan and put it in quarantene but then Ad-Aware stop at this scan and don't procced...i was waiting for about 20 mins but it stil didn't procced, i started the scan few times again and allway the same story... now, what the **** is wrong now? :) :blink: :whistling: :help:

Sgt. McCoy

Sgt. McCoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
well...i'll disable Norman antivirus now and try scanning with Ad-Aware SE again, i'll risk of getting trojan but i really don't care cause i think that my computer can't get any worse than it allready is :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Good plan! You might also try to run some of these scans in Safe Mode.

Sgt. McCoy

Sgt. McCoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I just want to know if TrojanHunter is also antivirus program or just program by itself? Cause I allready have antivirus program installed. So should I install it or not?

NOTE: DO NOT install more than one antivirus program. They will conflict, and provide less protection, not more.

...and...I get to the Step Two: (Viruses/Trojans) / Ewido Anti Malware scan...and on the end it says: When the scan finishes, click on Save Report. This will create a text file. Please then paste the contents of the text file, and post it with your HijackThis log.

So should i post this immediatelly or when i get to the Step Five: Posting a Hijack This Log, and then post it with it?

...and...online virus scan is the same thing as antivirus program, so i can't have both of them installed right?

Edited by Sgt. McCoy, 04 May 2006 - 07:54 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Trojan Hunter: Is a type of antivirus program that "watches" for trojan like code coming into the computer, or when used as a scanner, looks for this code installed on the computer. In most cases, it will not cause any conflicts with other AV applications, but if this concerns you, use it as a stand alone scanner rather than a real time monitor.

HiJackThis/Ewido logs: Finish the steps on the page, run both scans (saving the logs), and post both logs to your topic there.

Online Scans: These will not conflict with your current AV applications, but offer additional detection abilities in an "on demand" environment. It will only run when you go to the site and run it.

Edited by wannabe1, 04 May 2006 - 07:11 PM.

Sgt. McCoy

Sgt. McCoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
i was lately at HijackThis Log forum, i did everything but nothing fixed my computer... the stuff there stil helps me with some things and if that won't help i'll reformatte my computer.

Thank you very much for your help!