Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with www. as a prefix

• Please log in to reply

kikoman

kikoman

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi everyone!, I think I made the mistake to transfer my hosting to Yahoo (before 6 days)... What happened is that my address www.xxxxxx.com does not work. The address xxxxxx.com (without www prefix) works but the icons and images and background do not work as their source from their properties include the www. in front (e.g. http://www.xxxxxx.com/BG29C.gif http://www.xxxxxx.com/BG29C.gif). After a period of waiting I received an email saying I should point the A records to be the same for both www and without www. On my Domain control panel I can see those:

Type: Source: Destination: Actions:
A Record xxxxxx.com Yahoo! IP Address -- | --
CNAME Record *.xxxxxx.com Yahoo! Hostname -- | --
CNAME Record ftp.xxxxxx.com Yahoo! Hostname -- | --
CNAME Record mail.xxxxxx.com Yahoo! Hostname -- | --

As you can see there is only one A record for xxxxxx.com and not one for www.xxxxxx.com If I want to add www.xxxxxx.com I can but it asks for Destination which I don't know how to set the same with xxxxxx.com as the destination for the existing A record is hidden as Yahoo! IP Address.

I would really appreciate if anyone could help me in this matter as my website is down for days now. Thank you in advance.

Edited by kikoman, 11 May 2006 - 06:53 AM.

Advertisements