Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problem with Linksys WRT54G Router!

• Please log in to reply

darwinjoe1831

darwinjoe1831

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hello,
I am having a problem with my Linksys WRT54G Router!
Yesterday, my internet connection suddenly dropped out. This process was widespread on all computers 1 wired 2 wireless. To see if the problem was with the router or with the DSL I connected my wired computer directly to the Westell 6100 DSL modem from verizon, and (obviously) I was able to connect to the internet. I then reconnected the Ethernet cable to the router, but still no connection. So I did the following:

6 power cycles
2 manual resets
4 attempts with the “netset” tool available for download on www.linksys.com/check
(This tool automatically sets up the router for internet connection, it at the end stated that I should do another power cycle which I did, but each time stated “an internet connection could not be established.)

These all failed

It should be noted that the wireless computers communicate with the router, the “see” my SSID, but there is so internet connection from the router.

The router is only 3 months old, and using the most up to date firmware 1.00.6, furthermore until this point I have had no problem with this product.

In addition all lights on the modem are lit, and on the router the power, wan, 1, and internet lights are lit!

Also I am able to access the setup page of the router by going to 192.168.1.1 and entering the password.

There is no malware on my computer!

I am unable to contact Linksys until next weekend due to finals so if you guys could help it would be great!!!!

Thanks in advance and if you need any more info, please ask!

Thank you,
Darwinjoe

Advertisements

wsavoy

wsavoy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello
I had the same issue but I am using a sat modem, the router does what I call going stupid
it loses association with the sat modem, a simple power cycle of the router gets it back.
Linksys was NO help at all !! :blink:
I called cdw tech help and the tech guy actually had a sat modem but mentioned that
with some dsl and other modems if they go idle for some time the router loses attention of the
modem.
His remedy, put a power timer on the router to turn it off then back on at some odd time
say 2 am when no on is on it, yeah stop laughing but that works, :help:
also you can look up some keep alive programs to run on your pc.
I am currently using connection keeper running on the one pc that is not turned off at all.
http://www.gammadyne.com/conkeep2.htm
you can down load it for free at the above site
it has been running on my pc now for 7 days with no drops !?
if that does not work I will employ the timer, it will be cheap and easy
but sad that technology has come to that

hope that helps! :whistling:

darwinjoe1831

darwinjoe1831

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I finally figured out how to fix this problem. So if anyone has the same problems as I did do the following:

Enter 192.168.1.1 into the Address bar
Enter your routers password if you have not changed it it will be admin
Under "setup" select Automatic configuation DHCP
Press Save
Enter 192.168.1.1 into the address bar
In the area by Local IP Address type 10.10.10.1
Press Save
Close out all windows
Turn off the modem router and computer
Wait 3 minutes
Turn on Modem until lights stop flashing this will depend on your model which light need to remain but usally Internet DSL and Ethernet need to be soild
Turn on Router
Turn on Computer
Everything now should work!!!!

BTW if you need to access your router from now on you must enter 10.10.10.1 to do so with your password!