Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HELP! STOP: 0x0000007E on boot =[

• Please log in to reply

soggyrice

soggyrice

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I just upgraded the motherboard/cpu keeping all my previous parts. I was told that I could repair the Windows installation...So I try this and everything goes well (it copies all the files)...but on reboot...after the WindowsXP logo is visible for 5 seconds a blue screen pops up with the error:

STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF799F750, F7BC6454, 0xF7BC6154)

I tried loging into Safe Mode, but I couldn't because a box came up saying that "Windows XP setup could not be performed in Safe Mode"

I also tried to get into the Windows Recovery Console from CD-boot...but I have no clue what my admin password is...[bleep] I don't think I even set an admin password.

Thanks

Previous Hardware:
i875p mobo
P4C 2.6Ghz
1.5GB PC3200
Radeon 9800
WD 250Gb SATAII

New Hardware:
ASRock939 DualSATA2 mobo
Athlon64 3700+

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Well, heres microsofts KB on the stop error.

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;330182

I really think you have too many hardware changes for windows to handle it. I'm surprised it doesnt want you to reactivate( but maybe you havent got to the desktop for it to see the changes). I would go ahead and wipe the drive and reinstall windows( you did backup all the essential data, right?). The last time i wiped the drive on my athlon 2600 puter i had to get the exe file that makes the set of 6 boot floppys for XP. It would not install from the CD no matter what i tried.

SRX660

soggyrice

soggyrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
a new mobo/cpu is too much? i found this site:

http://motherboard.w...sreinstall.com/

and i read that it might be possible.

i think it may also be a conflict with a software i used called BootVis that "optimizes boot time"...it probably changed somethings that were specific to my i875p/P4C 2.6Ghz

currently...i have the A64/asrock running fine on my old IDE hd...fresh reformat/windowsxp install.....the IDE was used as extra storage on my older setup

what i wanted to do is be able to boot into windows using the SATAII drive with all my information on it. I tried putting this SATAII drive back into my old P4 setup and what's funny is the exact moment it leaves the WindowsXP loading screen to enter the name selection....it was almost the exact time that it would show the blue screen on the newer A64 setup.

all hardware is working fine