Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

graphics card update?

• Please log in to reply

ghall

ghall

• Pip
  • 6 posts
My son has a Diamond Stealth 9250 256mb DDR AGP graphics card. We were looking to find if there was a driver update. He is trying to play Guild Wars and is having problems. I think he says blocky terrain. He also has WOW and it seems to play ok. He is running Win. XP home with 512mb ram, P4 2.6 processor. I know this isn't a cutting edge system but I thought it should play Guild Wars. The resolution he is using is 1024x768. We can not find a driver update anywhere for this card. There are updates for the 9250 128 DDR but not for the 256. Could someone please guide me in the right direction. Thanks in advance :whistling:

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
ATI catalyst drivers work for all therre cards. If you go to www.ati.com there is a download section to get them, or you could try the omega drivers(just google for them). Although guild wars is a pretty demanding game and 9250 very slow so i wouldnt expect miracles.

ghall

ghall

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you warriorscot. If all else fails and without breaking the bank, would you go out on a limb and recommend an up to date card? Thanks

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well given its AGP i wouldnt go to fast as otherwise you might run into trouuble and need to upgrade the PSU as well. I would say something like an x800GTO would be fast enough to get the job done but not to fast for the slot to be bottlenecking the card. A 7600GS would also be a good choice, but it would really depend on your budget and the rest of the system to fast and you lose potential because the rest of the system isnt very fast, another 512mb of ram would also be an advisable upgrade and usually quite a cheap one.

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Scots right, buy another 512, preferably matching your existing ram (so there wouldnt be any compatibility issues). Will Guild Wars play and look OK at a lower resolution i.e. 800x600? As for a video card upgrade, the x800gto is a good card so is the x850gto. Both of those cards run between $150-200 (depending on where you get it). The cards are getting a lil old but they should run basically anything out there at 1024x768 on high to max settings.
-P.