Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HACK-LESS(?)

• Please log in to reply

grc

grc

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
From using a Belarc Analysis, it appears I am not as secure as I could be. How can I change the names of "administrator(s)" and "guest(s)" to be more secure.

THX in advance!

g :whistling: :) :blink: :) :help:

Edited by grc, 03 May 2006 - 08:24 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

To rename the default local Administrator account

Log on as a member of the local Administrators group (but not the built-in Administrator account), and open the Local Users and Groups snap-in tool in the Computer Management console.

In the console tree, expand Local Users and Groups, and then click Users.

In the details pane, right-click Administrator, and then click Rename.

Type the fictitious first and last name, and then press ENTER.

In the details pane, right-click the new name, and then click Properties.

Click the General tab. In the Full name box, type the new full name. In the Description box, delete Built-in account for administering the computer/domain, and then type a description to resemble other user accounts (for many organizations, this value is blank).

Click OK.

do the same for guest

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hello grc and welcome to G2G!

You can change user options in user accounts in control panel.
Personally I wouldn't change the administrator username because some things require the administrator account, but to make it more secure I would put a password on it. The password should ideally contain numbers, symbols as well upper and lower case letters. As for the guest account I would set that up with a password and disable it.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
zeus....just as a note here....almost all programs that require there to be an administrator account....verify this account by SID not username..

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
The reason I said to keep the admin account was I had problems using the recovery console. I'd renamed the admin account a few months before and it wouldn't let me login

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Just a suggestion, but you might want to read this:

http://www.microsoft...t/sm0305_2.mspx

Scroll down and read myth # 2.

The safest way to protect the guest account is to make sure it is disabled.

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
If you are concerned about someone getting into your PC locally, that is physically sitting down at your PC and hacking into it, then by all means password protect the default Administrator.

As far as hacking in remotely, Windows will not allow access to a blank password account.

doire

doire

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Kniht

If your surfing the internet do so when logged in as GUEST.

Viruses and other crap thrive on pcs that are logged in as ADMINISTRATOR so i wouldnt go and disbale the GUEST account.

Edited by doire, 04 May 2006 - 08:44 AM.

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
doire

Point well taken.

Actually when I surf the Net, I use my browser within a program called "Sandboxie". It's suppose to hold anything nasty put on your PC in a "sandbox" not allowing it out of the sandbox so as to not infect the rest of the system.

I experimented with this claim by going into one of my favorite security testing sites and downloading a "simulated" nasty. At the end of the day when I emptied the "sandbox", a warning message popped up telling me a certain object, located in a certain location in the sandbox could not be deleted.

I went to this location in the sandbox, scanned the object with NOD32, and, by golly, NOD32 detected the "simulated" nasty I had downloaded and cleaned it. I was then able to empty the rest of the sandbox with no further problems.

Sandboxie is kind of like a free, downgraded virtual PC.

I still have my guards up, but feel a little safer surfing within Sandboxie.

Just thought I'd mention this.

grc

grc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

zeus....just as a note here....almost all programs that require there to be an administrator account....verify this account by SID not username..

Thx, but what is "SID"?

Thx again!