Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unexpected launch of Windows Installer

• Please log in to reply

Gswiss

Gswiss

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Under Windows 2000 – sp4, I have a problem with Windows Installer in one instance only. Whenever I try to open Blocklist Manager, Windows Installer is launched and it prepares the installation of Print Shop. The Print Shop installation process hangs at one point and displays the error message 2718. When I cancel the process, the whole thinggoes into a loop with Windows trying to install Print Shop again. The only way to stop everything is through the Task Manager.

Print Shop is a program I deleted recently both through an Uninstall and a cleaning up of its registry settings using jv16 Power Tools. Up to this deletion, Blocklist Mgr would open normally.

To get rid of this oddity, I completely deleted Blocklist Mgr (including its registry settings) and re-installed : same thing.

I re-installed Windows installer 3.1 (v2). No change.

I have Ad-Watch and PestPatrol. Ad-Aware and SpyBot found no spywares. Avast found no virus.

Windows Installer works properly as I can install any program without a hitch.

I don’t see the link between Print Shop and Blocklist Manager.

Advertisements

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Have you tried the Windows installer cleanup utility?

http://www.softpedia...p-Utility.shtml

It might help.

Gswiss

Gswiss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I did try it but it didn't help.

I finally got rid of the problem by trying to reinstall Print Shop. In fact, it only gave me the options of removing, repairing or modifying. Thus, there were probably some obscure Print Shop settings hanging around despite my “aggressive” cleaning up. By clicking on Remove, that was it.

It still doesn’t explain the link between the two programs.

Thank you for your suggestions.

By the way, below is an illustration of the incompetence (not to say stupidity) of Dell Support in a similar case. Their suggestion was to reinstall Windows!! They were probably trained by Microsoft

http://www.pcreview....read-441632.php

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
I know what you mean about certain brand PC's support.

I have an HP and everytime I go to support and ask for help, even on a minor issue, all they can say is

Do a system recovery - Do a system recovery, which of course takes my PC back to it's factory fresh days with all the junk HP put on it in the beginning.

Glad you solved your problem.