Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Media readers

• Please log in to reply

confused234

confused234

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I really need someone to explain something to me.

I have a 13 in 1 media card reader (removable drives) then why does it only show 4 removable drives in my computer? How is this installed to show the 13?

Thanks for any/all help

confused234

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01 confused234
4th May 2006

I have a 13 in 1 media card reader (removable drives) then why does it only show 4 removable drives in my computer? How is this installed to show the 13?

You probably only have 4 Slots/Connectivity Places in this device – So common sense says that - you could only have/show 4 of these devices at one instance – To have more displayed – you would have to install all the different types – but you still may not be able to display them all at one time-

Another limiting factor is this is probably a USB Device and is only connected to 1 USB Port- And as you add & remove other media Cards to your PC – The drive assignments will vary – some will be added while others that are not connected/used at this instance – will be changed or dropped –

So if you were to have all 13 different devices – the only probable way to have all 13 to be displayed at 1 time would be to purchase 3 more of this – [13 in 1] – Load all 4 slots of each & connect to 4 different USB Ports. And even then I do not know if PC would be able to display all at the same time –

This was not designed to have all 13 devices on at the same time – But just to have the ability to read all 13 Devices – Not necessarily at the same time –

Another factor to consider – would be the – Current Draw – of the Card Reader & each Memory Card – You would probably have to use a Self Powered USB HUB Expander – to have all 4 slots connected to your PC [??] - [PC has USB Current Draw restrictions/limits]

Visit the website of your Card Reader & inquire there -

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 04 May 2006 - 09:22 AM.

confused234

confused234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thank you Jack for responding.

Let me explain a bit ..... I had purchased a Dell computer with the 13 in 1 reader and when I went to my computer and looked under Devices with removeable storage it showed letters for each device (c; d-DVD; e-DVD; and then the rest were for the media reader card.) This time it doesn't show as many as the other one did

Well, thanks anyway.